Old 22-05-2006, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

Default Plant ID Please?

Hi

Just spotted this rather large bush on leith Walk in Edinburgh and I want
one! The leaves are small, look a bit like Thyme and it's covered in these
blue flowers. Can anyone tell me what it is please?

http://i4.tinypic.com/10f48w6.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info.

xiv

Old 23-05-2006, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Jupiter" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 May 2006 22:21:52 +0100, "louisxiv"
wrote:

Hi

Just spotted this rather large bush on leith Walk in Edinburgh and I want
one! The leaves are small, look a bit like Thyme and it's covered in
these
blue flowers. Can anyone tell me what it is please?

http://i4.tinypic.com/10f48w6.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info.

xiv

Camera Nonfocusi?

Perhaps but that stems from Codakcaputi.
The thumbnail plant appears to have been attacked by the mouthole pest.

Old 23-05-2006, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"louisxiv" wrote in message
Hi

Just spotted this rather large bush on leith Walk in Edinburgh and I want
one! The leaves are small, look a bit like Thyme and it's covered in
these blue flowers. Can anyone tell me what it is please?

http://i4.tinypic.com/10f48w6.jpg
Thanks in advance for any info.

xiv

Ceanothus perhaps?

Hmm, not sure. The leaves on this one really are very small, a bit like
thyme. I'll try to get a better pic. The flowers seem smaller too. More
compact than the images of Ceanothus I can find.

Old 23-05-2006, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

louisxiv wrote:
Ceanothus perhaps?

Hmm, not sure. The leaves on this one really are very small, a bit like
thyme. I'll try to get a better pic. The flowers seem smaller too. More
compact than the images of Ceanothus I can find.

Two options: like Ruppert I say Ceanothus. There are different size
Ceanothus, varieties that flowers in spring, others from
august/september, some are tall, others are creepers and some don't
pass 1m in height. It could however be an hebe, the franciscana blue
which flowers now. The leaves are however light underneath on your
plant.

Can you take another photograph?!

Old 23-05-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

I'm starting to think that you and Rupert are right and it's a type of
Ceanothus. The leaves are really small I think which is why i was dubious.
if there are many varieties should i be looking to find out what that
specific one is? If it is Ceanothus I guess i could grow from a cutting?

I will take a better pic in a day or so when i'm back in town. The bit I
picked off is now withering badly.

Thanks for the tips so far.

xiv

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 23-05-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"louisxiv" wrote in message
I'm starting to think that you and Rupert are right and it's a type of
Ceanothus. The leaves are really small I think which is why i was dubious.
if there are many varieties should i be looking to find out what that
specific one is? If it is Ceanothus I guess i could grow from a cutting?

I will take a better pic in a day or so when i'm back in town. The bit I
picked off is now withering badly.

Thanks for the tips so far.

xiv

"If" it's Ceanothus then you can take cuttings. It will be easy to pin down
the variety from the flower colour, leaf and shrub size.
Colours go from a washed out powder blue to a very deep blue.
You say this is a big shrub? which excludes a fair number of the known small
ones:-)

Old 23-05-2006, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"louisxiv" wrote in message
I'm starting to think that you and Rupert are right and it's a type of
Ceanothus. The leaves are really small I think which is why i was dubious.
if there are many varieties should i be looking to find out what that
specific one is? If it is Ceanothus I guess i could grow from a cutting?

I will take a better pic in a day or so when i'm back in town. The bit I
picked off is now withering badly.

Thanks for the tips so far.

xiv

"If" it's Ceanothus then you can take cuttings. It will be easy to pin down
the variety from the flower colour, leaf and shrub size.
Colours go from a washed out powder blue to a very deep blue.
You say this is a big shrub? which excludes a fair number of the known small
ones:-)

I agree with Ceanothus. It is the only blue flowering shrub in flower
this time of year that makes you go "what the hell is that Jimmy?" due
to the blueness of its ehhh blue.
If it is intensely blue (looked it in the blurred snap), then that is
it. The individual flowers are very small and arranged in clusters.

Des

p.s. was that the forth rail bridge in the photo?
Are you in Queensferry?

Old 23-05-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"louisxiv" wrote in message
[...]

Yes it was and I am.

Old 23-05-2006, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

wrote in message
oups.com...

louisxiv wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"louisxiv" wrote in message
[...]

Nice place; There is an occasional poster here called Roy Omond who
was from there.

I don't know him. I'm in North Queensferry, the Fife side. Maybe i'll bump
into him...

Thanks for the help...