Old 28-05-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
misterroy

Default harvesting rhubarb

Hi, I've just harvested some rhubarb, the patch was planted in the
1920's so the plants are established. The guides I have seen on the
Internet say to leave at least four stems. The plants all have around 8
stems left. I only took the thicker stems, about an inch thick, the
others are about half an inch thick and about 14-16 inches long.
I have two questions:

1. How long will it take the thin ones to thicken?

2. Will there be more new stems?

cheers Roy

Old 29-05-2006, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Allen Caius

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

That is a very poor rate of production, and from the age of the plant
and the symptoms I'd say it, and the soil it grows in, are utterly
exhausted.

\snip\

I bought a new 'Champagne' crown from the Mammoth Onion people in
Lancashire last year. I am fortunate in that a nearby farmer beds his
cattle on peat waste from a local commercial cutting. He is happy to
give me as much of this bedding (poo and peat mixed). I prepared a bed
for the crown using loads of this yummy mixture and plenty of home-made
compost. The result is that I have been able to take a few stems off
the plant in its first year of production. There's no doubt in my mind
that rhubarb is a heavy feeder and can rapidly exhaust an unfed soil,
leading to reduced production and finally death of the crown.

--
Cheers,

Allen