Old 14-07-2003, 01:03 AM
shannie

Default harvesting rhubarb

We planted some rhubarb in April of this year, it sat there and did nothing
until about two weeks ago, now it's enormous..the plant is about 2ft high
and the leaves are huge, the stalks look lovely and we'd really like to eat
them but I have been reading that

1)....you must wait at least 12 - 18mths after planting before eating. and
2)....you mustn't eat rhubarb after July.

To both the above why? and to #2 is that after the begining or end of July?

If we cannot eat it should we at least take some of the leaves and stalks
away, there is lots of new growth underneath and Im wondering if the new
forming leaves need more light.

Thanks again
--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 14-07-2003, 05:43 AM
Alan Gould

In article , shannie
writes
We planted some rhubarb in April of this year, it sat there and did nothing
until about two weeks ago, now it's enormous..the plant is about 2ft high
and the leaves are huge, the stalks look lovely and we'd really like to eat
them but I have been reading that

1)....you must wait at least 12 - 18mths after planting before eating. and
2)....you mustn't eat rhubarb after July.

To both the above why? and to #2 is that after the begining or end of July?

If we cannot eat it should we at least take some of the leaves and stalks
away, there is lots of new growth underneath and Im wondering if the new
forming leaves need more light.

Pull some of your rhubarb stems Shan and enjoy eating them, or cutting
them up and freezing them for winter use. Both 1) and 2) can be true,
but as in most gardening, a little judgement needs to be exercised.
1) New rhubarb plants are often not ready for serious cropping in their
first, or even their second year, but as in your case some stems can be
taken. 2) By July, rhubarb stems can begin to harden and become stringy,
the very best crops are usually taken earlier than that. In the case of
young plants which have not been cropped, good tender stems can be
available even as late as September. Use some and see what they are
like, but don't take too many.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 14-07-2003, 09:30 AM
shannie

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , shannie
writes
[...]

Thanks Alan

Old 14-07-2003, 09:32 AM
shannie

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , shannie
writes

Old 14-07-2003, 09:39 AM
shannie

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , shannie
writes

Old 14-07-2003, 09:40 AM
shannie

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , shannie
writes

Old 14-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

We planted some rhubarb in April of this year, it sat there and did nothing
until about two weeks ago, now it's enormous..the plant is about 2ft high
and the leaves are huge, the stalks look lovely and we'd really like to eat
them but I have been reading that

1)....you must wait at least 12 - 18mths after planting before eating. and
2)....you mustn't eat rhubarb after July.

To both the above why? and to #2 is that after the begining or end of July?

The level of oxalic acid in rhubarb rises after July; this could have
an adverse effect on very young children or anyone with gout, arthritis
or kidney problems.

Janet
Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
shannie

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
I have been reading that

1)....you must wait at least 12 - 18mths after planting before eating.

and
2)....you mustn't eat rhubarb after July.

To both the above why? and to #2 is that after the begining or end of

July?

The level of oxalic acid in rhubarb rises after July; this could have
an adverse effect on very young children or anyone with gout, arthritis
or kidney problems.

Janet

Thanks Janet, I had heard something about oxalic acid, but hadn't a clue
what it did or how people were effected by it.

Shan

Old 17-07-2003, 10:24 AM
martin

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:09:12 +0100, "shannie"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
I have been reading that

1)....you must wait at least 12 - 18mths after planting before eating.

and
2)....you mustn't eat rhubarb after July.

To both the above why? and to #2 is that after the begining or end of

July?

The level of oxalic acid in rhubarb rises after July; this could have
an adverse effect on very young children or anyone with gout, arthritis
or kidney problems.

Janet

Thanks Janet, I had heard something about oxalic acid, but hadn't a clue
what it did or how people were effected by it.

the amount in the leaves kills all bacteria in compost bins and stops
composting working. It cleans aluminium pans and I think it can also
kill humans?? Never put rhubard leaves in a compost bin.
--
martin