Old 30-05-2006, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Redman

Default Tree Stumps ?

Ok, I cut down a lot of Leylandi last year but left about a foot and a half
of stump sticking up, now they are growing again but the wifes heard that
there is a substance that you can put on the stump to stop them growing.
Anyone know what it's called? Can you get it from any decent Garden Centre?

TIA

Redman

Old 30-05-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vass

"Redman" wrote in message
Ok, I cut down a lot of Leylandi last year but left about a foot and a
half
of stump sticking up, now they are growing again but the wifes heard that
there is a substance that you can put on the stump to stop them growing.
Anyone know what it's called? Can you get it from any decent Garden
Centre?

Yes, stump killer, drill holes in the top of the stump and put some in each
hole, but mostly
and more effectivly is to use an axe and slice open the edges of the bark,
peeling back like a banana
and fill with the stump killer, then
wrap yp the whole stump with plastic and staple to the stump
leave for a couple of months then open up and re-fill and close up again.
works for me on other trees, never tried it on laylandi so thats my caveat
Remeber this is not a stump removal method, just a killer
--
Vass

Old 30-05-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Redman wrote:
Ok, I cut down a lot of Leylandi last year but left about a foot and a half
of stump sticking up, now they are growing again but the wifes heard that
there is a substance that you can put on the stump to stop them growing.
Anyone know what it's called? Can you get it from any decent Garden Centre?

TIA

Redman

Are you sure they are Leylandii? I didn't think those grew back when
you cut them down - they certainly do not at home. I got them cut to
ground level bar one, which I have kept as a bare trunk to grow a rose
and probably a few other things up.

Cat(h)

Old 30-05-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Tue, 30 May 2006 16:29:40 +0100, Redman wrote
(in article ):

Ok, I cut down a lot of Leylandi last year but left about a foot and a half
of stump sticking up, now they are growing again but the wifes heard that
there is a substance that you can put on the stump to stop them growing.
Anyone know what it's called? Can you get it from any decent Garden Centre?

Are you SURE they're leylandii? Did you leave any green growth on them at
all? I must admit that I can't see why you would if you wanted to be rid of
them altogether but I ask because new growth never sprouts from old wood on
leylandii, so taking them back to 18 inches of stump and no greenery should
have been the end of them. Yew re-sprouts pretty successfully but not
leylandii. In fact, we have a customer who against all our advice, decided
to 'pollard' hers and take out some of the side branches. She has been left
with the most hideous, almost naked poles about 12' high.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-05-2006, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Redman

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
[...]

Possibly they weren't Leylandi I'm not a tree expert but they grew bloody
quickly after I moved into this house just about 3 years ago. I did leave
bits of greenery on them. Anyway someones pointed out what to use and how to
get rid of them.

Redman

What do you use to poison tree stumps? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 5 28-03-2009 11:03 PM
Removing tree stumps martin United Kingdom 2 04-05-2004 05:14 PM
Killing small tree stumps Jean Staffen Texas 10 01-04-2004 08:21 PM
tree stumps Mogie Gardening 2 30-09-2003 04:03 AM
Protect Tree Stumps Paul Gardening 15 04-09-2003 10:02 PM