Old 30-05-2006, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
andrew scotchmer

Default Are these weeds?

Hi

I've just started gardening after moving to a house with a lovely back
garden. Before I lived in a house with just a back yard with just a few
pots etc..

This plant (links below) seem to be growing everywhere and I was wondering
what it is. I think they are weeds but need to be sure before I dig'em
out. In saying that however some of the pink flowers do look nice.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.scotchmer/weed

Andrew

Old 30-05-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

andrew scotchmer wrote:
Hi

I've just started gardening after moving to a house with a lovely back
garden. Before I lived in a house with just a back yard with just a few
pots etc..

This plant (links below) seem to be growing everywhere and I was wondering
what it is. I think they are weeds but need to be sure before I dig'em
out. In saying that however some of the pink flowers do look nice.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.scotchmer/weed

It's London Pride, a saxifrage. A good beginner's plant, as it grows
well in most places but is easy to keep under control.

--
Mike.

Old 30-05-2006, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

In message , andrew scotchmer
writes
This plant (links below) seem to be growing everywhere and I was
wondering what it is. I think they are weeds but need to be sure
before I dig'em out. In saying that however some of the pink flowers
do look nice.

A weed is a just plant in the wrong place. If you like the flowers and
you're happy with where they are then whatever they are they're not a
weed.

dave or stella @ stejonda
Old 30-05-2006, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"dave or stella @ stejonda" wrote in
message ...
In message , andrew scotchmer
writes
This plant (links below) seem to be growing everywhere and I was wondering
what it is. I think they are weeds but need to be sure before I dig'em
out. In saying that however some of the pink flowers do look nice.

A weed is a just plant in the wrong place. If you like the flowers and
you're happy with where they are then whatever they are they're not a
weed.

Quite so. They are London Pride. Most people don't consider them a weed.
Mostly because they're not as rampant as some. You can pull out the excess
you don't want, leave a few in, and they will build up again, but fairly
gradually. They're also very easy to transplant, just bung in the ones
you've pulled out from elsewhere and they'll fill up some space while you
wait for other things to bulk up. We have them in our garden and they're not
a problem.

Steve

Old 30-05-2006, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Quite so. They are London Pride. Most people don't consider them a weed.
Mostly because they're not as rampant as some. You can pull out the excess
you don't want, leave a few in, and they will build up again, but fairly
gradually. They're also very easy to transplant, just bung in the ones
you've pulled out from elsewhere and they'll fill up some space while you
wait for other things to bulk up. We have them in our garden and they're not
a problem.

Steve

Cannot think of London Pride as a weed, it is good to look at and causes
no problems, just like a good husband should be :-)))

Old 31-05-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

shazzbat wrote:
Quite so. They are London Pride. Most people don't consider them a weed.
Mostly because they're not as rampant as some. You can pull out the excess
you don't want, leave a few in, and they will build up again, but fairly
gradually. They're also very easy to transplant, just bung in the ones
you've pulled out from elsewhere and they'll fill up some space while you
wait for other things to bulk up. We have them in our garden and they're not
a problem.

When they are a 'problem' in my garden, usually the dogs help me by
walking on it. It's everywhere on my path, don't seem to understand not
to grow in the middle of it ;o)

Old 31-05-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WRabbit

"andrew scotchmer" wrote in message
Hi

I've just started gardening after moving to a house with a lovely back
garden. Before I lived in a house with just a back yard with just a few
pots etc..

This plant (links below) seem to be growing everywhere and I was wondering
what it is. I think they are weeds but need to be sure before I dig'em
out. In saying that however some of the pink flowers do look nice.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.scotchmer/weed

Been meaning to ask what those are for a while as I was giving some by my
grandparents who knew them as Nancy Pretties. Thanks for posting the
question!

The spread well and are good ground cover, but are easily lifted if they are
getting out of control. Very good for supressing weeds and for places
little else would thrive. I've got a clump planted under a lilac tree.

Old 31-05-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"WRabbit" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

I saw something on the telly recently, didn't catch all of it, but the gist
was that it's called London pride because it was often the first plant to
recolonise sites which had been bombed in the blitz.

Except for the weeds presumably :-))

Steve

Old 31-05-2006, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"shazzbat" wrote in message

I saw something on the telly recently, didn't catch all of it,
but the gist was that it's called London pride because it was
often the first plant to recolonise sites which had been bombed
in the blitz.

Which maybe goes to show you shouldn't necessarily believe
everything you see on the telly.

quote

THE COTTAGERS' CALENDAR OF GARDEN OPERATIONS.

By Joseph Paxton,

Gardener to His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, &c., &c.

[...]

Layering
Leeks
Leptosiphons
Lettuce
Lobelias
London Pride
Lychnis, Double
Marigold
Marjoram
Manures

[...]

Printed by Thomas Clark Shaw, [...]Publisher, at No. 186.
Fleet Street aforesaid.—Saturday, August 24. 1850.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13406...-h/13406-h.htm

( near the bottom - contents only)

quote

michael adams

Old 31-05-2006, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"shazzbat" wrote in message

I saw something on the telly recently, didn't catch all of it,
but the gist was that it's called London pride because it was
often the first plant to recolonise sites which had been bombed
in the blitz.

[ I should perhaps add that the plant in question was in fact
rose bay willow herb -
just google - London bomb site willow herb ]

Old 31-05-2006, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"michael adams" wrote in message
"shazzbat" wrote in message

I saw something on the telly recently, didn't catch all of it,
but the gist was that it's called London pride because it was
often the first plant to recolonise sites which had been bombed
in the blitz.

[ I should perhaps add that the plant in question was in fact
rose bay willow herb -
just google - London bomb site willow herb ]

Oh well, there's another theory down in flames. I did say I didn't catch all
of it, obviously less than I thought.

Steve

Old 31-05-2006, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"shazzbat" wrote in message

I saw something on the telly recently, didn't catch all of it,
but the gist was that it's called London pride because it was
often the first plant to recolonise sites which had been bombed
in the blitz.

[ I should perhaps add that the plant in question was in fact
rose bay willow herb -
just google - London bomb site willow herb ]

Which maybe goes to show you shouldn't necessarily believe
everything you see on the telly.

snip
My Mum called it "Blitz weed" which she was certain came across on the bombs
because it appeared within weeks of a site being destroyed.