Old 31-05-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

Default tomato info resources please (for the groups sanity!)

hi all

tomatoes seem to be a top topic here
and first timers have lots of questions
(myself being the perfect example)

I could ask you about 20 questions a day
on the mysteries of tomatoes,
I have spent lots of time and effort (and a few quid)
on my first tomato effort this year.

so.......

is there any good resources on the web for growing toms
in my climate (dublin) with good photos and info of whats involved,
what the plants should look like at various stages, trusses, supports
sideshoots, the whole shooting match

many thanks

4

Old 01-06-2006, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

On Wed, 31 May 2006 16:43:10 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "fourmations" contains
these words:

hi all

tomatoes seem to be a top topic here
and first timers have lots of questions
(myself being the perfect example)

I could ask you about 20 questions a day
on the mysteries of tomatoes,
I have spent lots of time and effort (and a few quid)
on my first tomato effort this year.

so.......

is there any good resources on the web for growing toms
in my climate (dublin) with good photos and info of whats involved,
what the plants should look like at various stages, trusses, supports
sideshoots, the whole shooting match

have to do a lot of serious research and follow the rules to the letter.

One warning I will give. You don't say whether you are growing them
outside or in a greenhouse.
Unless you are very carefull with training and tying in tomato plants
and removing side shoots depending on variety, they tend, in my
experience, to turn into a matted jungle if left unattended for more
than a few days. Guve then plenty of space.
On GQT last week, Chris Beardshaw reminded me of an idea for tomato
growing which I have read about but have not yet tried.
He says this way you can get more fruit from each plant. He mentioned
Gardeners Delight and Ildi (which latter I know you can buy in Lidl)
For outdoor tomatoes, put a circle of canes around each plant. (he did
not specify how many or what size of circle. The choice is yours!)
Tie strings around the circle of canes at about 1 ft intervals.
Then tie the side-shoots to the canes or strings as they grow. Stop
each side-shoot at 3 flower trusses. (That seems a lot!)
It's worth a try!

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-06-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

snip

On Wed, 31 May 2006 16:43:10 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

What you really need is a deckchair and a mug of tes.Sit in the
deckchair, mug in hand, and contemplate your tomato plant.

I like the sound of that, (could I substiute the tea for coffee)
Unfortunately the rat-race doesnt give me lazy hours

Pam,
I am growing them in two of those growbag size plastic cheapo frames
I have 3 gardeners delight, 2 incas (plum) and a lonely bell pepper plant
(3 plants per growbag/frame arrangement)

they are doing fine but I just dont know what to expect
I dont even know what a flower truss will look like
or when to expect them. (its my first time!)

regards

4

Old 01-06-2006, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "fourmations" contains
these words:

snip

wrote:

What you really need is a deckchair and a mug of tes.Sit in the
deckchair, mug in hand, and contemplate your tomato plant.

I like the sound of that, (could I substiute the tea for coffee)
Unfortunately the rat-race doesnt give me lazy hours

You don't need to spend hours at it, and it's far from lazy. But as
an experienced gardener, I promise you that taking time to look and
attend will teach you more (that's worth knowing) than anything else.
It's the basic, essential gardening skill.

they are doing fine but I just dont know what to expect
I dont even know what a flower truss will look like
or when to expect them. (its my first time!)

To use that as an example; observance will teach you the answer to
both. No asking, fretting, book, tutor, website, training course, diary
or stopwatch is required, the answers are already there within the
growing plant. The time the truss appears, is your mutual moment of
recognition and understanding.

Janet.

Thanks Janet

It seems I need to use "the force" ;-)

Heres a good link I found though for anyone who may be interested
it relates to my growbag greenhouse too
http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetabl...g_Tomatoes.php

regards

4