Old 01-06-2006, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default advice for phytophtora infected pots

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 19:35:54 +0100, GH wrote
(in article .com):

Can anyone advise? Have you had any experience with phytophtora?

Last autumn I bought 4 containers and several big pots for indoor
plants. This spring I bought from the local gardening center a few
strawberry plants that later turned out to have been infected with
phytophtora. No treatment worked. I replaced the soil and disinfected
the pots with chlorine but the plants (lilies) started showing symptoms
of phytophtora.

Will I be able to use the containers and the pots again? I don't know
how to disinfect to get rid of phytophtora.

It sounds silly but I have to ask, will it be safe to keep the lily
bulbs?

Thank you very much for your help and support all along. Alexandra

Raymond says: Phytophtora is normally a disease in seedlings when they
damp off where the stem touches the soil. It is normally caused by being too
cold or too wet or both. A very good old-fashioned treatment which is still
obtainable is Cheshunt Compound. This was developed in the late 30s at the
Cheshunt Experimental Station in Cheshunt, Herts, which was the centre of the
Lea Valley, the largest area of glass in the UK. It was developed by Dr.
Bewley. Buy the Compound and use it either as a drench or a spray with the
pots outside.
In the warm weather we're having now, leave them outside for the summer. The
Compound should take care of your problems with both pots and plants.
He hopes this helps you.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-06-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
GH

Thank very much him on my behalf.
It is very kind of you to help, especially as I imagine this problem is
a beginners' thing and you must have heard the issue raised many times
before.
Sorry for being a pestering newbie.

phytophtora GH United Kingdom 1 13-03-2006 06:58 AM
Possible cure for Fusarium Wilt infected soil ---Pete--- Edible Gardening 0 02-07-2003 12:44 PM
Millions Infected With Deadly Parasite Spread By Cats Cy United Kingdom 6 23-01-2003 01:22 AM
Frogs (was Millions Infected...) Victoria Clare United Kingdom 4 23-01-2003 12:06 AM
Seeds (was Millions Infected...) Victoria Clare United Kingdom 0 22-01-2003 04:16 PM