Old 05-06-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
IanG

Default Green house

Hello,

I am new to gardening and have just cleared a space for a green house (8x6).
I have started to look at the different types and not sure what to buy.
Could anyone offer some advice to me .

Many thanks,

IanG

Old 05-06-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

"IanG" wrote in message
Hello,

I am new to gardening and have just cleared a space for a green house

(8x6).
I have started to look at the different types and not sure what to buy.
Could anyone offer some advice to me .

Many thanks,

IanG

Advice?

Clear a bigger space and make it 10 x 8 ;-))

Michael Crowe

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 05-06-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"IanG" wrote in message
Hello,

I am new to gardening and have just cleared a space for a green house
(8x6). I have started to look at the different types and not sure what to
buy. Could anyone offer some advice to me .

Many thanks,
IanG

Decide first whether you want wood or aluminium.
Also what you want to grow as this may impact on the shape/size/height

Here are a few sites for your contemplation:
http://www.h2othouse.com/index1.html - loads of general info and even has
plans
GH's in the UK :
http://www.gardenbuildings.com/direc...eat-Britain-UK

My "greenhouse in the sky" http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

Jenny

Old 05-06-2006, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Redman

"IanG" wrote in message
Hello,

I am new to gardening and have just cleared a space for a green house

(8x6).
I have started to look at the different types and not sure what to buy.
Could anyone offer some advice to me .

Many thanks,

IanG

Well I bought my first Greenhouse about 8 weeks ago. 8 x 6. Took about a day
to erect. It's all Polycarbonate glazing. Purchased an automatic vent as
well. All from eBay btw. Total cost about £300. It's over 100 C in there at
the moment with the vent and the door open. I only wish though I hadn't
listened to the wife and gone for a 10 x 8. Polycarbonate will help avoid
putting any type of net shading up if you purchase just glass for the
glazing. It cuts down on scorching of young plants etc. I'm a bit of a
newbie to the greenhouse myself but I remember my old man years ago had 2
glass greenhouses and was always putting the netting up.

HTH

Redman

Old 05-06-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ornata

IanG wrote:
Hello,

I am new to gardening and have just cleared a space for a green house (8x6).
I have started to look at the different types and not sure what to buy.
Could anyone offer some advice to me .

Many thanks,

IanG

I also think you might regret going for an 8' x 6' model. Even if
you're really organised with your staging, it's amazing how quickly the
space will fill up. We got ours (an 8 x 6 - too small!) out of Loot
for £25 (but we had to dismantle it and take it away, which took
pretty much a whole day). It just needed a few replacement panes of
glass. We sited it directly on the ground, but I really wish now that
we'd taken the trouble to create a solid base for it. If I had the
money, I'd do the whole thing again, only this time with a nice,
concrete base, a larger greenhouse and a wooden frame - wood doesn't
just look good, it's also a better insulator.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

.. I only wish though I hadn't
listened to the wife and gone for a 10 x 8.

:-)))

See my posting :-)))

and I am regarded as an idiot by some of the 'owners' of the newsgroup!!!

Michael Crowe FEP

Old 06-06-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:08:26 GMT, "IanG"
wrote:

Hello,

I am new to gardening and have just cleared a space for a green house (8x6).
I have started to look at the different types and not sure what to buy.
Could anyone offer some advice to me .

Many thanks,

IanG

Make sure you have plenty of ventilation, at least two roof vents and
two side vents.

Polycarbonate instead of glass. Doesn't break when cricket balls /
footballs / stones / children hit it.

--
Chris