Old 08-06-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Leaning tower of fuschia

A local council had a sale of bedding plants a week or so ago. For £32
I purchased a good selection of plants in fantastic condition. Among
these were 2 standard fuschias, I gave one to my daughter and kept the
other myself. I repotted into bigger pots, left the bamboo support that
was already there, alas they have both started to do a Captain Carlson,
for the young amongst you they are leaning. I have tried turning my pot
90 degrees daily, but still it leans. Any recommendations please?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Broadback wrote:
A local council had a sale of bedding plants a week or so ago. For £32
I purchased a good selection of plants in fantastic condition. Among
these were 2 standard fuschias, I gave one to my daughter and kept the
other myself. I repotted into bigger pots, left the bamboo support that
was already there, alas they have both started to do a Captain Carlson,
for the young amongst you they are leaning. I have tried turning my pot
90 degrees daily, but still it leans. Any recommendations please?

They've probably outgrown their little starter canes. You could try
putting in three or four stouter ones round the edge of each pot, and
gently tying the stem to all of them. As the fuchsia bulks up it should
conceal the engineering. Potting mixture probably won't be dense enough
for a single stake to hold, now that the plants have taken on a
pronounced lean.

--
Mike.

water-tower air-cond? jfrost Texas 1 03-04-2003 02:56 AM
Leaning Youpon Holly "Pride of Houston" Brian Clifton Texas 1 21-03-2003 01:56 AM
The Leaning African Violet Jenny Rizzo Gardening 5 05-03-2003 02:39 PM
African Violet - leaning Jenny Rizzo Plant Biology 9 04-03-2003 08:16 PM
strwberry tower? Jane Edible Gardening 6 21-02-2003 08:39 PM