Old 10-06-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Barrett

Default broad beans and blackfly

I'm growing broad beans for the first time this year and they seem quite
happy so far -- the blossoms are just beginning to open. My question is
about "pinching out" and blackfly. I've seen numerous references to
this but haven't been able to figure out what exactly is meant.

What I've been able to gather is that when the pods begin to appear, you
are supposed to pinch off the top couple inches of growth on the main
stem. Is this right? What exactly does this accomplish?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rob Barrett writes:

| I'm growing broad beans for the first time this year and they seem quite
| happy so far -- the blossoms are just beginning to open. My question is
| about "pinching out" and blackfly. I've seen numerous references to
| this but haven't been able to figure out what exactly is meant.
|
| What I've been able to gather is that when the pods begin to appear, you
| are supposed to pinch off the top couple inches of growth on the main
| stem. Is this right? What exactly does this accomplish?

When there are a few decent flower clusters starting, you pinch out the
growing shoot to stop it producing more. This helps them to set, and
helps to prevent the beans getting too tall and breaking in wind. It
is claimed to reduce blackfly, but I don't believe it.

You can cook the tops pinched off, like spinach, and they are quite good.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

do blackly hurt the beans much - mine have got them but the beans so far
look fine.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 10-06-2006, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"H Ryder" writes:
| do blackly hurt the beans much - mine have got them but the beans so far
| look fine.

In small numbers, no. When they are dense on the shoots and young
beans, they prevent either from developing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
Rob Barrett writes:

| I'm growing broad beans for the first time this year and they seem quite
| happy so far -- the blossoms are just beginning to open. My question is
| about "pinching out" and blackfly. I've seen numerous references to
| this but haven't been able to figure out what exactly is meant.
|
| What I've been able to gather is that when the pods begin to appear, you
| are supposed to pinch off the top couple inches of growth on the main
| stem. Is this right? What exactly does this accomplish?

When there are a few decent flower clusters starting, you pinch out the
growing shoot to stop it producing more. This helps them to set, and
helps to prevent the beans getting too tall and breaking in wind. It
is claimed to reduce blackfly, but I don't believe it.

The theory is that the blackfly are attracted to the young tender growth
at the top.

--
Kay

Old 12-06-2006, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 11:54:27 GMT, "H Ryder"
wrote:

do blackly hurt the beans much - mine have got them but the beans so far
look fine.

Hayley, I've tried leaving the black-fly when they didn't seem too
bad, and the next I knew, the bean pods themselves were smothered with
them, and that's not nice!

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-06-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

I've tried leaving the black-fly when they didn't seem too
bad, and the next I knew, the bean pods themselves were smothered with
them, and that's not nice!

so how do I get rid of them please? I've pinched out teh tops now but can
still see some.
Hayley

Old 12-06-2006, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"H Ryder" writes:
| I've tried leaving the black-fly when they didn't seem too
| bad, and the next I knew, the bean pods themselves were smothered with
| them, and that's not nice!
|
| so how do I get rid of them please? I've pinched out teh tops now but can
| still see some.

Spray with diluted soft soap (e.g. Savona) or diluted washing-up liquid
with a squirt of meths in. Flood the areas of the plants they are
infesting, and repeat as necessary (after 48 hours, if need be). The
blackfly shrivel up and die, within hours in this weather.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/6/06 19:35, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"H Ryder" writes:
| I've tried leaving the black-fly when they didn't seem too
| bad, and the next I knew, the bean pods themselves were smothered with
| them, and that's not nice!
|
| so how do I get rid of them please? I've pinched out teh tops now but can
| still see some.

Spray with diluted soft soap (e.g. Savona) or diluted washing-up liquid
with a squirt of meths in. Flood the areas of the plants they are
infesting, and repeat as necessary (after 48 hours, if need be). The
blackfly shrivel up and die, within hours in this weather.

Just as a matter of curiosity, I wonder if anyone has ever tried Saponaria
officinalis for this purpose?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk