Old 12-06-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Grey squirrels - just as native as we are.

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| I understood a 'troll' was generally held to be a person who deliberately
| posted derogatory or inflammatory messages with the intention of provoking
| 'flaming' responses. Angus Macmillan is conducting an anti conservation (as
| we know it) publicity campaign, not deliberately 'trolling' newsgroups
| merely for effect.

He is a borderline case, but a lot of his posts ARE trolling.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2006, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| I understood a 'troll' was generally held to be a person who

deliberately
| posted derogatory or inflammatory messages with the intention of

provoking
| 'flaming' responses. Angus Macmillan is conducting an anti conservation

(as
| we know it) publicity campaign, not deliberately 'trolling' newsgroups
| merely for effect.

He is a borderline case, but a lot of his posts ARE trolling.

I would agree he sometimes sets out to bait individuals with whom he has
been conducting a feud. As they do him.

Old 13-06-2006, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| I would agree he sometimes sets out to bait individuals with whom he has
| been conducting a feud. As they do him.

Mea culpa :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2006, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

BAC wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote...
The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:
The perpetrator of this thread has made u.e.c unusable. Mind
you, some of the blame for this is shared by the small group of posters
there who continue to have dealings with him.

Your second sentence is the clue to the real problem; those bona fide
regular users who continue to respond to obvious trolls when they know,
from long experience, the negative effect the troll habitually inflicts
on a group.

Angus Macmillan is conducting an anti conservation (as
we know it) publicity campaign, not deliberately 'trolling' newsgroups
merely for effect.

And I bet he goes off to bed each and every night basking in
the glow of the knowledge of another good job, well done. Free
publicity, more than almost anyone could hope to get, from a
few people who will not stop spoon-feeding him help by the
bucketful. The destruction of u.e.c is purely incidental.
Old 13-06-2006, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
BAC wrote:
[...]

Angus has been successful in making his opinions known - not only on u.e.c,
and other newsgroups, but also via his websites, the correspondence columns
of various newspapers, at public meetings, and, I understand, from a towed
'stall' at some open air events.

But has he succeeded in his underlying aims? The RSPB continues from
strength to strength; the WT continues to plant trees and to allow public
access to most of them; people continue to visit Nature Reserves in their
motor cars; charities still operate visitor centres and employ volunteer
labour; National Parks have yet to be disbanded; wild animals continue to be
culled as part of conservation land management; glyphosate is still used in
conservation land management - and so on.

If the former regulars of u.e.c had been more tolerant of dissenting
opinions, I doubt it would have experienced the unpleasantness which has
come to dominate its threads.

Old 14-06-2006, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BAC wrote:
[...]

I don't think success can be gauged in terms of stopping all the above
practices in a one. I chip away at the credibility of the fake
conservationists just as I would consider knocking down an impregnable
stone wall - one chip at a time. I have no doubt whatsoever that in
the not too distant future the conservation of today will be seen and
proved to be fake and that government will withdraw its funding which
will spell the death-knell of these organisations as they are today.
The combination of an inevitable downturn in the western economies and
a realisation that climate change overshadows what the fakes are doing
will probably trigger such an event.

If I have contributed to this in the smallest possible way I will
consider my efforts a success.

If the former regulars of u.e.c had been more tolerant of dissenting
opinions, I doubt it would have experienced the unpleasantness which has
come to dominate its threads.

The problem, as I see it, is that the regulars were unable to counter
my arguments effectively, so resorted to attacking me as an individual
- as they still do - which in turn led me to respond in kind.

However, what they say to or about me is of little consequence as I
have a pretty thick skin.

And I have never told anyone to f*** off - yet :-))

Poor Dr Thick; he gets most upset.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 14-06-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

BAC wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. No-one can doubt your perserverance.

If the former regulars of u.e.c had been more tolerant of dissenting
opinions, I doubt it would have experienced the unpleasantness which has
come to dominate its threads.

The problem, as I see it, is that the regulars were unable to counter
my arguments effectively, so resorted to attacking me as an individual
- as they still do - which in turn led me to respond in kind.

And so on ad infinitum, it seems.

Old 14-06-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:10:00 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

.. .

BAC wrote:
[...]

Looks like it.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 15-06-2006, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:54:07 +0100, Malcolm
wrote:

In article ,
writes
On 14 Jun 2006 08:23:27 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
writes:

| How do you work all that out? What of my postings is claptrap?
|
| Let's get into specifics.

Because I have some knowledge of biology, ecology and economics. And
they all are, in toto, with (as far as I have been able to tell) the
two exceptional points I referred to earlier.

I have given you enough time, so shall not respond further.

I see. So you say my posts are claptrap but when asked to explain why,
you can't.

This is typical of the response of those who support fake conservation
but when asked to be specific can't come up with the goods.

I suppose it's a lot easier to shoot the messenger than argue the
points. So far everyone has missed :-))

A good example of your claptrap was your response to the recent report
of an insect discovered on Cairngorm which was new to science.

Your comment was: "How do they know it's a "native" species?"

That was claptrap based on total ignorance - a common occurrence in your
postings.

No Malcolm, just an awkward question.

This insect could have been brought into this country by any manner of
means. The fact it hasn't been discovered in this country before
doesn't mean it hasn't come from somewhere else. Of course if it was
born here it would be native anyway. So why worry.

Who cares anyway except the fake conservationists.

Is this where you tell me to f*** off?

:-)

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 15-06-2006, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , BAC
writes

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article ,
writes
On 14 Jun 2006 08:23:27 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
writes:

| How do you work all that out? What of my postings is claptrap?
|
| Let's get into specifics.

Because I have some knowledge of biology, ecology and economics. And
they all are, in toto, with (as far as I have been able to tell) the
two exceptional points I referred to earlier.

I have given you enough time, so shall not respond further.

I see. So you say my posts are claptrap but when asked to explain why,
you can't.

This is typical of the response of those who support fake conservation
but when asked to be specific can't come up with the goods.

I suppose it's a lot easier to shoot the messenger than argue the
points. So far everyone has missed :-))

A good example of your claptrap was your response to the recent report
of an insect discovered on Cairngorm which was new to science.

Your comment was: "How do they know it's a "native" species?"

That was claptrap based on total ignorance - a common occurrence in

your
postings.

I can't remember - did you actually answer Angus's question about the

newly
identified species?

It doesn't need an answer. Think about it for a moment, something Angus
clearly hasn't done.

I don't need to think about it, but then, I didn't ask the question. If you
believe the question was founded in ignorance, it would perhaps have been
helpful to explain why, and to attempt to dispel the ignorance, by answering
the question.