Old 11-06-2006, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grey squirrels - just as native as we are.

Grey Squirrels - just as native as we are

"Save our native red squirrels and kill the alien greys", is the
message being churned out by so-called conservationists in a cynical
and concerted hate campaign aimed at gaining public approval for the
mass slaughter of hundreds of thousands of these harmless, amusing,
friendly and social animals.

So what's behind all this and is it justified? Of course it's not!

It is beyond dispute that the grey squirrel species in this country
originated from America but it is also beyond dispute that individual
greys born here are natives of this country. The very meaning of the
word "native" is to be born, and it is grey squirrels born here and
native to this country that are being mercilessly slaughtered.

When a grey squirrel is shot or poisoned it is not the "species" that
is being killed - it's the native individual.

By the same token, individual red squirrels are also native to this
country but it is questionable whether the ancestors of the current
population in Scotland were any less "alien" than the ancestors of the
greys. Around the mid 1800s red squirrels were considered extinct in
Scotland and were introduced from a variety of sources. The population
increased successfully, only to be killed in large numbers by
landowners who considered them as pests. Ironically this is what's
happening to greys now.

The idea that the pox virus is transmitted from greys to reds is far
from proven. Indeed, it has been suggested the same virus might well
have caused a previous population decline in reds, long before grey
squirrels existed in the UK. Furthermore, the government's Joint
Nature Conservation Website states the following:

· The origin of squirrel poxvirus in red squirrels is unknown
· Research shows that the antibodies to the virus are common
in some grey squirrel populations but only one case of disease has
been found in a grey squirrel, whilst very few red squirrels carry the
antibodies to the virus.
· It is therefore possible that grey squirrels act as a
reservoir host (carrier) for the virus whilst the majority of red
squirrels affected with poxvirus appear to die within a week of
becoming infected.

A policy of slaughter meted out to grey squirrels based on unknowns
and possibilities is as outrageous as it is unfair.

This policy against grey squirrels is one of intolerance and
discrimination and has an almost exact parallel to that of pre-war
Germany where the same venom and hate was directed at people deemed
not to be genetically pure, of ethnic origin or in numbers that were
considered to be a threat to the Aryan population. This led to
millions of innocent people being slaughtered in the following years.
It's worth bearing in mind that intolerance of animals is only one
step away from intolerance of humans.

Saving the red squirrel population is desirable but not to the extent
of slaughtering greys. Improving the reds habitat, which could include
planting appropriate tree species such as Scots pine, larch, Norway
spruce, lodgepole pine, Douglas fir, yew, hawthorn and even the North
American Sitca spruce are all measures that can favour red squirrels.
Other native and non-native species can be planted to act as barriers
to greys in areas inhabited by reds. These solutions are well known to
conservationists but intensely disliked because it goes against their
obsession for all things native.

So the next time you see a grey squirrel remember it was born here
and is as "native" as we are - and forget the nonsense that
conservation fanatics want you to believe, that it is some form of
alien being.

Indeed, if there are any "aliens" among us, it's the conservationists;
not the grey squirrels.

Angus Macmillan
www.killhunting.org.uk

March 2006.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 11-06-2006, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Graculus

wrote in message
news
Grey Squirrels - just as native as we are
lots of stuff deleted

Sustitute "aboriginies" for "red squirrel" and "white man" for "grey
squirrel" and you've got Australia.

Or use as an example any ethnic group now native in a region where that
group didn't originate, and you've got pretty much anywhere.

There's nothing new in the world, after all.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Graculus" writes:
| wrote in message
| news | Grey Squirrels - just as native as we are
| lots of stuff deleted
|
| Sustitute "aboriginies" for "red squirrel" and "white man" for "grey
| squirrel" and you've got Australia.
|
| Or use as an example any ethnic group now native in a region where that
| group didn't originate, and you've got pretty much anywhere.
|
| There's nothing new in the world, after all.

Well, yes - but Angus the troll doesn't manage to be entirely wrong
all of the time, despite his best attempts.

Almost all of the nonsense posted about the British Isles' ecology misses
the point that it has been in continually, human-modified change for the
past 11,000 years. Humans were here before (probably) 95% of the plant
species and probably 90% of the bird and animal ones, and we simply
do not have a clue which were introduced with human help and which came
on their own. The classification of "native species" in the UK is near-
complete crap.

That is entirely unlike Australia or, indeed, almost anywhere else on
earth.

What we need is more diversity, not less - such as beech martens. The
RSPB would scream, but there Angus also manages to be correct (the only
other aspect where he does, as far as I know). The RSPB is not an
ecologically responsible organisation, which is why it is so harmful.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

wrote in message
news
Grey Squirrels - just as native as we are

"Save our native red squirrels and kill the alien greys", is the
message being churned out by so-called conservationists in a cynical
and concerted hate campaign aimed at gaining public approval for the
mass slaughter of hundreds of thousands of these harmless, amusing,
friendly and social animals.

It's not just 'so-called conservationists' who are calling for the demise of
the tree rats, it's people like me who wish to eat some of the produce I
grow for my own consumption, and I happen to like seeing birds in my garden,
but both of these simple pleasures are stopped by the tree rats.

Alan

Old 11-06-2006, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jun 2006 10:24:14 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
"Graculus" writes:
| wrote in message
| news | Grey Squirrels - just as native as we are
| lots of stuff deleted
|
| Sustitute "aboriginies" for "red squirrel" and "white man" for "grey
| squirrel" and you've got Australia.
|
| Or use as an example any ethnic group now native in a region where that
| group didn't originate, and you've got pretty much anywhere.
|
| There's nothing new in the world, after all.

Well, yes - but Angus the troll doesn't manage to be entirely wrong
all of the time, despite his best attempts.

Almost all of the nonsense posted about the British Isles' ecology misses
the point that it has been in continually, human-modified change for the
past 11,000 years. Humans were here before (probably) 95% of the plant
species and probably 90% of the bird and animal ones, and we simply
do not have a clue which were introduced with human help and which came
on their own. The classification of "native species" in the UK is near-
complete crap.

That is entirely unlike Australia or, indeed, almost anywhere else on
earth.

What we need is more diversity, not less - such as beech martens. The
RSPB would scream, but there Angus also manages to be correct (the only
other aspect where he does, as far as I know). The RSPB is not an
ecologically responsible organisation, which is why it is so harmful.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You're too kind, Nick.

But I agree with what you say 100%

Does that make you an accessory to the troll?

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk

Old 11-06-2006, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:50:58 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
Grey Squirrels - just as native as we are

"Save our native red squirrels and kill the alien greys", is the
message being churned out by so-called conservationists in a cynical
and concerted hate campaign aimed at gaining public approval for the
mass slaughter of hundreds of thousands of these harmless, amusing,
friendly and social animals.

It's not just 'so-called conservationists' who are calling for the demise of
the tree rats, it's people like me who wish to eat some of the produce I
grow for my own consumption, and I happen to like seeing birds in my garden,
but both of these simple pleasures are stopped by the tree rats.

Alan

Your anthropocentric outlook is really quite pathetic. Why shouldn't
wildlife eat out of your garden?

And don't forget that Red Squirrels were also called "tree rats" by
those who wished to demonise them in the past.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 12-06-2006, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

If the grey tree rats were to do the planting, watering and generally
looking after the stuff I try to grow, then they would be welcome to share
it with me.

Alan

Old 12-06-2006, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:24:15 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

You cannot expect to have the world exclusively to yourself. We all
face competition on a daily basis in many forms.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 12-06-2006, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

wrote in message

You cannot expect to have the world exclusively to yourself. We all
face competition on a daily basis in many forms.

I've decided to confine you to the killfile!

PLONK!

Old 12-06-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Alan Holmes" writes:

| I've decided to confine you to the killfile!
|
| PLONK!

Troll and squirrel casserole, anyone?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Nick Maclaren wrote:
"Alan Holmes" writes:

| I've decided to confine you to the killfile!
|
| PLONK!

Troll and squirrel casserole, anyone?

'bout time. The perpetrator of this thread has made u.e.c unusable. Mind
you, some of the blame for this is shared by the small group of posters
there who continue to have dealings with him.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:43:14 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

You cannot expect to have the world exclusively to yourself. We all
face competition on a daily basis in many forms.

I've decided to confine you to the killfile!

PLONK!

Typical of those who know they're wrong but aren't big enough to admit
it :-(

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 12-06-2006, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Jun 2006 18:26:44 +0200, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
"Alan Holmes" writes:

| I've decided to confine you to the killfile!
|
| PLONK!

Troll and squirrel casserole, anyone?

'bout time. The perpetrator of this thread has made u.e.c unusable. Mind
you, some of the blame for this is shared by the small group of posters
there who continue to have dealings with him.

What the fakes in uk.e.c don't get away with now is peddling the
dishonesty they call conservation.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 12-06-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

The perpetrator of this thread has made u.e.c unusable. Mind
you, some of the blame for this is shared by the small group of posters
there who continue to have dealings with him.

Your second sentence is the clue to the real problem; those bona fide
regular users who continue to respond to obvious trolls when they know,
from long experience, the negative effect the troll habitually inflicts
on a group.

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry
Old 12-06-2006, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

The perpetrator of this thread has made u.e.c unusable. Mind
you, some of the blame for this is shared by the small group of posters
there who continue to have dealings with him.

Your second sentence is the clue to the real problem; those bona fide
regular users who continue to respond to obvious trolls when they know,
from long experience, the negative effect the troll habitually inflicts
on a group.

I understood a 'troll' was generally held to be a person who deliberately
posted derogatory or inflammatory messages with the intention of provoking
'flaming' responses. Angus Macmillan is conducting an anti conservation (as
we know it) publicity campaign, not deliberately 'trolling' newsgroups
merely for effect.