Old 11-06-2006, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default Mangetout

Is it too late to start mangetout peas with any likelihood of success?
Are they likely just to fall prey to mildew?

Janet G
Old 13-06-2006, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 13:42:59 +0100, Janet Galpin
wrote:

Is it too late to start mangetout peas with any likelihood of success?
Are they likely just to fall prey to mildew?

Janet G

Can I suggest trying Oregon Sugar Pod. I've just picked my last ones
from a sowing last September. The yield was very good and the pods
stay tender even when the peas are forming. I reckon these might grow
all year year round (obviously dormant in winter but survived last
winter's frosts better than my Aquadulce Claudia broad beans). I'll
definitely grow them again.

Old 14-06-2006, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

ANKS FPOR THE SUGGESTION The message

from Jupiter contains these words:

wrote:

Is it too late to start mangetout peas with any likelihood of success?
Are they likely just to fall prey to mildew?

Janet G

Can I suggest trying Oregon Sugar Pod. I've just picked my last ones
from a sowing last September. The yield was very good and the pods
stay tender even when the peas are forming. I reckon these might grow
all year year round (obviously dormant in winter but survived last
winter's frosts better than my Aquadulce Claudia broad beans). I'll
definitely grow them again.

Interesting and thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't realised they are so
hardy. I shall definitely try them in September. I wonder if they're as
good at coping with hot dry weather as they are at coping with cold.

Janet G
Old 14-06-2006, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

wrote:

Is it too late to start mangetout peas with any likelihood of success?
Are they likely just to fall prey to mildew?

Janet G

Can I suggest trying Oregon Sugar Pod. I've just picked my last ones
from a sowing last September. The yield was very good and the pods
stay tender even when the peas are forming. I reckon these might grow
all year year round (obviously dormant in winter but survived last
winter's frosts better than my Aquadulce Claudia broad beans). I'll
definitely grow them again.

Interesting and thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't realised they are so
hardy. I shall definitely try them in September. I wonder if they're as
good at coping with hot dry weather as they are at coping with cold.

Janet G

By the time we started the recent very hot and dry spell which lasted
around 2 weeks, I'd already had 3 or 4 pickings off the plants and
they'd just about stopped flowering with a lot of pods still growing
on. I left them to grow then stripped the whole lot and cleared the
plants which were beginning to die back. I think that was probably the
end of their natural life rather than a direct result of the hot dry
weather. They do need support, but only grow to 3 or4 feet unlike
Sugar Snaps which just seem to climb higher and higher.

Mangetout Joanne United Kingdom 0 22-07-2004 04:12 PM
Mangetout Joanne United Kingdom 0 16-07-2004 12:19 AM
Mangetout Joanne United Kingdom 4 27-06-2004 02:03 AM
Mangetout peas Paul Taylor United Kingdom 1 26-06-2003 11:08 PM
First taste - mangetout shannie United Kingdom 3 19-06-2003 09:56 PM