Old 12-06-2006, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Feeding tomatoes

I have researched the topic a bit, and get some contrary advice: from
don't feed until you see flowers to if you don't feed regularly grow
bag toms, you'll get blossom end rot.
Help! Should I feed before I see flowers? Only my totem bush plant is
showing its first.
What about those that have none?
TIA

Cat(h)

Old 12-06-2006, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have researched the topic a bit, and get some contrary advice: from
don't feed until you see flowers to if you don't feed regularly grow
bag toms, you'll get blossom end rot.
Help! Should I feed before I see flowers? Only my totem bush plant is
showing its first.
What about those that have none?

I wanted to ask about feeding as well.

I have some tomato plants growing in pots in the greenhouse, the pots were
filled with the contents of grow bags, the master of the housr tells me I
should be feeding them, but what with, and how do I feed them, and how
often?

Alan

Old 12-06-2006, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have researched the topic a bit, and get some contrary advice: from
don't feed until you see flowers to if you don't feed regularly grow
bag toms, you'll get blossom end rot.
Help! Should I feed before I see flowers? Only my totem bush plant is
showing its first.
What about those that have none?

I wanted to ask about feeding as well.

I have some tomato plants growing in pots in the greenhouse, the pots were
filled with the contents of grow bags, the master of the housr tells me I
should be feeding them, but what with, and how do I feed them, and how
often?

Alan

Proprietary liquid tomato feed is available everywhere here -
supermarkets, garden centres, etc. My understanding is that you need
to feed toms that are grown in pots or grow bags - less so toms that
are in well prepared and manured open soil.
My bottle at home states that I should feed every two weeks - but it
doesn't say when I should start. I have read in some places that I
should start from when flowers appear, and other places seem to
indicate an earlier start.
I am currently feeding every couple of weeks, and watering every couple
of days, as my toms are growing outside in growbags, and we are
currently having a heat/dry wave.
I would like to know if I am doing right or wrong.

Cat(h)

Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I haven't fed tomatoes for years - they grow in greenhouse borders (soil
never changed but scratched in and deposited on by hens during the winter
for the last few years) and in garden plots - four year rotation only, no
feeding as such.

We get a lot of tomatoes - this year I've sown and planted about thirty
plants of different kinds, I'll dry and freeze those fruit which overface us
for immediate consumption. I buy tomatoes very rarely and then only local
ones, even they are nothing like as good as our own :-)

Lots and lots of water though. Daily watering. There are butts all round the
garden and the greenhouse has a perforated hose just under or on the soil,
fed by a butt taking water from the house roof.

I might be doing all the wrong things of course!

Mary

Cat(h)

Old 12-06-2006, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Mary Fisher wrote:
I haven't fed tomatoes for years - they grow in greenhouse borders (soil
never changed but scratched in and deposited on by hens during the winter
for the last few years) and in garden plots - four year rotation only, no
feeding as such.

We get a lot of tomatoes - this year I've sown and planted about thirty
plants of different kinds, I'll dry and freeze those fruit which overface us
for immediate consumption. I buy tomatoes very rarely and then only local
ones, even they are nothing like as good as our own :-)

Lots and lots of water though. Daily watering. There are butts all round the
garden and the greenhouse has a perforated hose just under or on the soil,
fed by a butt taking water from the house roof.

I might be doing all the wrong things of course!

Mary

I dare say you would have noticed :-) These will be (cross fingers and
toes) my first crop since I gardened with my Daddy too long ago for
comfort - and in a very different place where neither grow bags nor
green houses were ever needed for a successful crop.
(nostalgic sigh)

Cat(h)

Old 12-06-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

I might be doing all the wrong things of course!

Mary

I dare say you would have noticed :-) These will be (cross fingers and
toes) my first crop since I gardened with my Daddy too long ago for
comfort - and in a very different place where neither grow bags nor
green houses were ever needed for a successful crop.
(nostalgic sigh)

In my experience - and I've probably been very lucky - there are few
easier plants than tomatoes.

I only grow crops I succeed with, I can't be bothered with things like
carrots or peas, much as I love them, because I've never had good crops. I
suffer from idleitis.

Oh dear, I do hope it isn't catching!(:-)

But I have to say, that when I do grow peas none of them ever get into the
kitchen!

Alan

Mary

Cat(h)

Old 13-06-2006, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news

I only grow crops I succeed with, I can't be bothered with things like
carrots or peas, much as I love them, because I've never had good crops.
I suffer from idleitis.

Oh dear, I do hope it isn't catching!(:-)

But I have to say, that when I do grow peas none of them ever get into the
kitchen!

My father grew wonderful peas, not all of those got to the kitchen either.
The ones I've tried to grow always suffer from what I imagine is mildew.

I'd love to grow parsnips too and salsify, the one I did manage was
wonderful and a daughter grows the best parsnips I've ever tasted, she's my
inspiration but her skill isn't catching :-(

Mary

Alan

Mary

Cat(h)

Tomatoes - Tomatoes 1a (Small).jpg (0/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 0 20-12-2015 08:12 PM
Feeding Tomatoes Judith in England United Kingdom 1 02-05-2014 04:49 PM
Feeding tomatoes Sacha United Kingdom 4 18-07-2013 08:17 PM
Feeding Tomatoes Roger & Barbara Tonkin United Kingdom 2 20-05-2010 08:57 PM
What's up with my tomatoes - cherry tomatoes? TLR Texas 0 09-08-2003 08:42 PM