Old 18-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Registered User

Default Snails : Pests or Pal ?

Hi all,
Can anybody tell me if snails are pests or pals ? I'm aware that slugs are not the best, but are snails just as bad ? If indeed they are pals, then how can I keep them and still get rid of the slugs ?
Thanks
Old 18-06-2006, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 07:50:18 +0000, di7ip wrote:

Can anybody tell me if snails are pests or pals ?

Pals, in garlic butter.

--
Nigel M
Old 18-06-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George Dingwall

Hi there,

I just got back from taking my pet snail for a Sunday afternoon walk.

Here he is, I'm so proud of him. :-)

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/images/Snail_01.jpg

Have fun.

wrote:

Hi all,
Can anybody tell me if snails are pests or pals ? I'm aware that slugs
are not the best, but are snails just as bad ? If indeed they are pals,
then how can I keep them and still get rid of the slugs ?
Thanks

Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk
Old 18-06-2006, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

di7ip wrote:
Hi all,
Can anybody tell me if snails are pests or pals ? I'm aware that slugs
are not the best, but are snails just as bad ? If indeed they are pals,
then how can I keep them and still get rid of the slugs ?

They aren't pals. Find them, and smash them to bits, a large
forged steel hammer is just about adequate. The sort with
the rubber grips are ideal for when the slime really starts
flying about. Alternatively, hurl them hard and fast at a
brick wall, or similar. They will be extinguished immediately.
Good Luck. Looking for them after dark is good. Kill them
all, large and small alike.
Old 18-06-2006, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message from di7ip contains these words:

Can anybody tell me if snails are pests or pals?

If you haven't noticed any problems, then they aren't a significant
pest in your sort of garden whatever that is. Both snails and slugs eat
dying vegetation (cleaning up dead plants) and attract feeding birds to
the garden.

What! Don't they ever eat live vegetation? I suppose you may be making
some sort of philosophical statement, but....

Old 18-06-2006, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
di7ip wrote:

They aren't pals. Find them, and smash them to bits, a large
forged steel hammer is just about adequate. The sort with
the rubber grips are ideal for when the slime really starts
flying about. Alternatively, hurl them hard and fast at a
brick wall, or similar. They will be extinguished immediately.
Good Luck. Looking for them after dark is good. Kill them
all, large and small alike.

My wife never listens to a word I say, or treats everything I
say with utter contempt, and laughs behind my back.

My children never listen to a word I say, or treat everything I
say with utter contempt, and laugh behind my back.

My boss never listens to a word I say, or treats everything I
say with utter contempt, and laughs behind my back.

My colleagues at work never listen to a word I say, or treat
everything I say with utter contempt, and laugh behind my back.

My mates down the pub never listen to a word I say, or treat
everything I say with utter contempt, and laugh behind my back.

My cat wakes itself from slumber and immediately leaves any room
that I happen to walk into.

My dog stops wagging his tail at the very sound of my approach.

But Hey - don't get mad get even !

Try smashing up some snails with a hammer !

michael adams

Old 18-06-2006, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

michael adams wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
di7ip wrote:

[...]

That's bad luck, Mr. Adams. I hope your situation resolves itself
in due course, the above must mean a great deal to you. Perhaps you
take things too seriously?

Try smashing up some snails with a hammer !

Good idea. Buy a big hammer. If you can't swing it, buy a body-
building course.

Apologies to you if I've mis-read your intent, by the way!
Old 18-06-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
di7ip wrote:

[...]

Sorry Chris there's no use pretending. As I said above, nobody
listens to a word I say, they just laugh behind my back. Just
like you're laughing right now with that "apology" of yours. You
see Chris, you're really no different from all the rest I'm afraid.

So there's no point in me stopping now, as nothing will bring
them all back. The killing will just have to go on.

Like a lot of people of course I'd like to move up to the bigger
stuff, torturing and killing animals, even offing the odd relative
or two maybe, but the doctors have told me that that stuff can get me
locked up. So for the time being at least, I'll just have to stick to
the legal stuff instead. Pulling the legs off of spiders, smashing
snails to bits with a hammer, trapping and killing squirrels and other
"pests" etc. etc. In that way I can pass myself off as normal, and
nobody, apart from the doctors, need ever know my little secret. Up
until now at least.

Not that anyone will understand a word of this of course, as I say.

michael adams