Old 19-06-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Rosa Rugosa cutting

Riding down the congested Leeds inner ring road this afternoon I saw lots of
flowering, deep pink rosa rugosa. They were dark with road dirt and vehicle
emissions but looked thriving, bushy and growing well.

My white, single bloomed, one (planted 2002) is a bit leggy, flowering well
but most of the green is at the top third of the plant.

Can it be cut back to encourage lower growth, if so when and by how much?

It would be a shame not to see the hips but if necessary I'd be prepared to
forgo that pleasure this year, in the hope of seeing more next year.

I hope someone can advise,

Mary

Old 19-06-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Mary Fisher wrote:
Riding down the congested Leeds inner ring road this afternoon I saw lots of
flowering, deep pink rosa rugosa. They were dark with road dirt and vehicle
emissions but looked thriving, bushy and growing well.

My white, single bloomed, one (planted 2002) is a bit leggy, flowering well
but most of the green is at the top third of the plant.

Can it be cut back to encourage lower growth, if so when and by how much?

It would be a shame not to see the hips but if necessary I'd be prepared to
forgo that pleasure this year, in the hope of seeing more next year.

I hope someone can advise,

Mary

.... and I'm all ears, for I would hate my splendid double deep pink
flowered 3 year old one to go leggy on me...

Cat(h)

Spacing for Rosa rugosa hedge? George V. Roberts Jr. Roses 5 26-10-2004 12:24 PM
Rosa Rugosa Fall Planting Massachusetts? George V. Roberts Jr. Roses 2 17-09-2004 07:48 PM
Rosa rugosa Bella United Kingdom 63 10-06-2004 05:46 PM
rosa rugosa Nelson Kirsch Gardening 4 25-06-2003 09:32 AM
Rosa Rugosa Ophelia United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 12:32 PM