Old 22-06-2006, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Weight of concrete block

"michael adams" wrote in message

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...ountertops.htm

" A 1.5" thick standard concrete countertop has an approximate weight
of 18.75 pounds per square foot."

therefore a 1 foot thick countertop i.e. a 1 ft cube would be
8 times as much - 150 pounds

?

Old 22-06-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Has anyone a rough idea of how much a 2' x 2' x 2" Concrete block would
weigh, please?

Mary

Am I the only one.....................why do you want to know ?

Because we want to transport some and need to know how many we can load into
our trailer and car.

Pretty boring, really ... sorry -)

Mary

Old 22-06-2006, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

michael adams wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Has anyone a rough idea of how much a 2' x 2' x 2" Concrete block
would weigh, please?

Mary

according to this site -

http://tinyurl.com/gy7xp

for -

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...ountertops.htm

" A 1.5" thick standard concrete countertop has an approximate weight
of 18.75 pounds per square foot."

therefore a 1 foot thick countertop i.e. a 1 ft cube would be
8 times as much - 150 pounds

2 square feet = 8 1 foot cubes = 1200 lbs = 10.7 cwt

So Nick is correct.

[ Believe it or not concrete is heavier than granite according to
this site at least - Granite is approximately 18 pounds per square
foot. ]

You're going all over the place with this one, plus you are using an
American site, whose pounds, feet and everything else are different to ours.

2 square feet isn't 8 cubic feet, 8 cubic feet is...and a two foot by two
foot flag, 2 inches thick is exactly 43Kg, I lift them all day, every day.

Old 22-06-2006, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"michael adams" wrote in message

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...ountertops.htm

" A 1.5" thick standard concrete countertop has an approximate weight
of 18.75 pounds per square foot."

therefore a 1 foot thick countertop i.e. a 1 ft cube would be
8 times as much - 150 pounds

?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

For the mathematically challenged, that's a medium paving slab.

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Has anyone a rough idea of how much a 2' x 2' x 2" Concrete block

block ?

That's my excuse anyway. McLaren can speak for himself.

michael adams

Old 22-06-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

You're going all over the place with this one, plus you are using an
American site, whose pounds, feet and everything else are different to
ours.

"whose pounds, feet and everything else are different to ours."

Are you sure about that?

Steve

Old 22-06-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"shazzbat" writes:

| You're going all over the place with this one, plus you are using an
| American site, whose pounds, feet and everything else are different to
| ours.
|
| "whose pounds, feet and everything else are different to ours."
|
| Are you sure about that?

I am. However, I also know by how much they differ - and the answer is,
for practical purposes, not at all. For very high-precision science,
they would, but NOBODY outside the USA uses anything other than the
international metric system for that any longer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-06-2006, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

shazzbat wrote:
someone wrote:
You're going all over the place with this one, plus you are using an
American site, whose pounds, feet and everything else are different to
ours.

"whose pounds, feet and everything else are different to ours."

Are you sure about that?

They say, over there, "A pint's a pound the whole world 'round". It
isn't. Everyone knows that really "A pint of pure water weighs a pound
and a quarter" - don't they!
Old 22-06-2006, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"shazzbat" writes:

| You're going all over the place with this one, plus you are using an
| American site, whose pounds, feet and everything else are different
| ours.
|
| "whose pounds, feet and everything else are different to ours."
|
| Are you sure about that?

I am. However, I also know by how much they differ - and the answer is,
for practical purposes, not at all. For very high-precision science,
they would, but NOBODY outside the USA uses anything other than the
international metric system for that any longer.

So for high precision science, what's the difference between an American
pound and a British pound?

Steve

Old 22-06-2006, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"michael adams" wrote in message

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...ountertops.htm

" A 1.5" thick standard concrete countertop has an approximate weight
of 18.75 pounds per square foot."

therefore a 1 foot thick countertop i.e. a 1 ft cube would be
8 times as much - 150 pounds

?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

For the mathematically challenged, that's a medium paving slab.

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Has anyone a rough idea of how much a 2' x 2' x 2" Concrete block

block ?

LOL! At what point does a slab become a block?

I specified 2' x 2' x 2" :-)

Mary

Old 22-06-2006, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"shazzbat" wrote in message

You're going all over the place with this one, plus you are using an
American site, whose pounds, feet and everything else are different to
ours.

"whose pounds, feet and everything else are different to ours."

Are you sure about that?

I'm not, but so many things are, it's not worth assuming that US standards
(in anything) are the same as UK's.

I'll say no more about that :-)

Mary

Steve

Old 22-06-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"shazzbat" wrote in message

So for high precision science, what's the difference between an American
pound and a British pound?

A can of worms :-)

Mary

Steve

Old 22-06-2006, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
michael adams wrote:
[...]

That was an obvious typo which didn't affect the accuracy of the
calculation as presented. Even if based on a faulty assumption.

Neverthess, do your little lap of honour if you must.

8 cubic feet is...and a two foot by two
foot flag, 2 inches thick is exactly 43Kg, I lift them all day,
every day.

Brawn plus brains then. I am impressed!

What with the strong arms from lifting all these flags, and the
highly tuned cardio-vascular system from doing all these laps
of honour, you must truly be at the peak of condition.

michael adams

Old 22-06-2006, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"michael adams" wrote in message

Oh come on Michael! It's all fun, isn't it? And we're all human, therefore
fallible.

Even I have been known to make mistakes ... as is frequently pointed out :-)

Mary

michael adams

Old 22-06-2006, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"shazzbat" writes:

| So for high precision science, what's the difference between an American
| pound and a British pound?

I doubt that there is a single American pound, any more than there
is a single African one.

However, in the USA, a pound is a derivation of an Imperial pound and,
in the UK, a pound is a metric pound. Since about 1950.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-06-2006, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

michael adams wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

8 cubic feet is...and a two foot by two
foot flag, 2 inches thick is exactly 43Kg, I lift them all day,
every day.

Brawn plus brains then. I am impressed!

I doubt you have ever been impressed in your life.

What with the strong arms from lifting all these flags, and the
highly tuned cardio-vascular system from doing all these laps
of honour, you must truly be at the peak of condition.

I don't need laps of honour, you were going all around the houses working
out cubic feet and finding out masses, volumes and all the other crap when
all you needed to do was ask the people who make them:
http://www.marshalls.co.uk/select/pd...ard_paving.pdf

Still, it's always better to use a hundred words where only half a dozen are
needed eh?