Old 27-06-2006, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default compost full of black fly :(

I went to get some of my compost out of the big plastic compost bin
that I have and it seems to be full of black fly which really deterred
me from using it as I didn't want to spread them around the garden .

What should I do ?

I'd rather not use chemicals

Can I use this compost ?

Old 27-06-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"Gardening_Convert" writes:
| I went to get some of my compost out of the big plastic compost bin
| that I have and it seems to be full of black fly which really deterred
| me from using it as I didn't want to spread them around the garden .

Why not? They are quite harmless to plants and animals, and will
disappear when you spread it. Those black flies are NOT 'blackfly'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-06-2006, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article .com,
"Gardening_Convert" writes:
| I went to get some of my compost out of the big plastic compost bin
| that I have and it seems to be full of black fly which really deterred
| me from using it as I didn't want to spread them around the garden .

Why not? They are quite harmless to plants and animals, and will
disappear when you spread it. Those black flies are NOT 'blackfly'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Do you eat oranges, don't put the peel in the compost, I stopped putting it
in the compost bin and the flies went.

Harry

Old 27-06-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

"Gardening_Convert" writes:
| I went to get some of my compost out of the big plastic compost bin
| that I have and it seems to be full of black fly which really deterred
| me from using it as I didn't want to spread them around the garden .

Why not? They are quite harmless to plants and animals, and will
disappear when you spread it. Those black flies are NOT 'blackfly'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Do you eat oranges, don't put the peel in the compost, I stopped putting it
in the compost bin and the flies went.

Harry

Yes we do eat some oranges and put the peel in the compost

Old 27-06-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message .com,
Gardening_Convert wrote

Yes we do eat some oranges and put the peel in the compost

It will be any decomposing fruit that will attract them. They are
harmless and like many of the other creatures that you will find in a
compost pile it's part of the normal process.

Once you have removed the top few inches that may not yet be ready, you
should have no problem with spreading the contents of the rest of the
bin.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com