Old 02-07-2006, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default wilting tomatoes

the tops seem to be wilting a bit...the GH is transparent polycarbonate, it
gets sun all day until around 3pm.
The soil was *very* dry prior to me planting them in there, I mean it was
like dust, even a foot down, although I did leave the hosepipe running in
there for a few hours before planting them out (about 6 weeks ago), they are
now 5ft high and the top 100mm has flopped...I've given them a good dousing
today with the hosepipe over a hook on fine spray for about 4 hours...does
anyone think I may need some shading or is it water? - the poly isn't
totally see-through.

also some of the flower trusses have turned black and dropped off before
flowering properly, is there some disease afoot here? - there were toms in
there last year but I didn't disinfect this spring.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L wrote:
the tops seem to be wilting a bit...the GH is transparent polycarbonate, it
gets sun all day until around 3pm.
The soil was *very* dry prior to me planting them in there, I mean it was
like dust, even a foot down, although I did leave the hosepipe running in
there for a few hours before planting them out (about 6 weeks ago), they are
now 5ft high and the top 100mm has flopped...I've given them a good dousing
today with the hosepipe over a hook on fine spray for about 4 hours...does
anyone think I may need some shading or is it water? - the poly isn't
totally see-through.

also some of the flower trusses have turned black and dropped off before
flowering properly, is there some disease afoot here? - there were toms in
there last year but I didn't disinfect this spring.

Shading might well help, but it is just likely to be the heat at the
moment, and that the root system can't get enough water to the top of
the plant, as long as the soil is wet then it shouldn't be a problem.
I've got the same problem here outdoors, every morning my morning glory
start to wilt while the sun is on them, it starts at the top and
eventually all the leaves wilt; as the sun dets round and they get into
shade then they come back and the leaves are OK, outdoor toms are ok,
but they are only about 4' high, morning glory is about 8'. Temps are
getting to 37 - 38 degrees every day now so I'm not surprised, and my
toms are just ripening in the Spanish sunshine, they are certainly a
talking point with the neighbours, even though there are several
nationalities here; gardening seems to be a universal language, and as
my toms are on the patio at the frot, they are getting watched as they
ripen, in fact one set of spanish neighbours gave me some gardeners
delight type tom plants for my terrace! so I think we are now accepted.