Old 17-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Registered User

Default Wilting tomatoes

I bought two tomato plants last week and gave them a little water every day except for one day when I stood them in water. That was 5 days ago and they have been fine but today they are wilting.
I have read that you should only water them 3 or 4 times a week. Have I done irreperable damage? If not what should I do?

Claire
Old 18-05-2008, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"mareita" wrote in message

I bought two tomato plants last week and gave them a little water every
day except for one day when I stood them in water. That was 5 days ago
and they have been fine but today they are wilting.
I have read that you should only water them 3 or 4 times a week. Have
I done irreperable damage? If not what should I do?

You should water them when they need water, not a certain amount of times a
week. Are their roots rotten?

Claire

--
mareita

Old 18-05-2008, 10:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
mareita wrote:

I bought two tomato plants last week and gave them a little water every
day except for one day when I stood them in water. That was 5 days ago
and they have been fine but today they are wilting.
I have read that you should only water them 3 or 4 times a week. Have
I done irreperable damage? If not what should I do?

Claire

Oddly enough, overwatering will kill faster than underwatering.

I only water when I see my plants need it. Dry soil or heat wilting.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 19-05-2008, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"mareita" wrote in message

I bought two tomato plants last week and gave them a little water every
day except for one day when I stood them in water.

Usually fewer deep waterings are better than many little ones but in small
pots you may need to water daily or even twice daily if it is hot and dry.
Just to make things harder overwatering will cause wilting too by allowing
fungal diseases to flourish.

That was 5 days ago
and they have been fine but today they are wilting.
I have read that you should only water them 3 or 4 times a week. Have
I done irreperable damage? If not what should I do?

I take it these are in pots. How big are the pots? If the pot is too small
they will dry out very quickly and you may not be able to put them in full sun
(which is desirable) without heat wilting.

David

Old 19-05-2008, 08:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"mareita" wrote in message

I bought two tomato plants last week and gave them a little water every
day except for one day when I stood them in water.

Usually fewer deep waterings are better than many little ones but in small
pots you may need to water daily or even twice daily if it is hot and dry.
Just to make things harder overwatering will cause wilting too by allowing
fungal diseases to flourish.

That was 5 days ago
and they have been fine but today they are wilting.
I have read that you should only water them 3 or 4 times a week. Have
I done irreperable damage? If not what should I do?

I take it these are in pots. How big are the pots? If the pot is too small
they will dry out very quickly and you may not be able to put them in full sun
(which is desirable) without heat wilting.

David

wait for the surface to go dry, grey, then water plant until water
exits the bottom of the pot. In larger pots, you may wait for the top
inch of soil to go dry.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

tomatoes, lettuce,musculin wilting a few days after planting them Nate[_2_] Gardening 4 20-05-2007 05:37 AM
wilting tomatoes Phil L United Kingdom 1 03-07-2006 07:24 AM
My new quince trees are wilting Chris Edible Gardening 3 04-06-2003 02:32 PM
Tomato plants wilting Mceezee Gardening 2 22-05-2003 06:08 PM
[IBC] Wilting Maple Leaves Jim S Bonsai 7 21-04-2003 04:09 PM