Old 13-04-2003, 01:56 PM
JohnB

Default Extending edge of butyl pond liner to stop leaking

I have inherited a pond - or rather series of 3 ponds connected with water
falls that were made using one single sheet of butyl rubber.

I have begun losing significant amounts of water and have tracked it down to
a hidden section of liner dipping just below water level when the waterfalls
are going. I have exposed the faulty section that was hidden by morter.
Originally the morter nearly sealed the area but appears to have been worn
away by the slow passage of water.

I would like to attach a strip of rubber liner to the existing edge to
effectively raise the edge by an inch or so. I have initially tried using a
strip adhesive on a roll that is carried by a white backing paper - not sure
of the name but intended for sticking patches to the liner.

Due to (possibly) insufficient cleaning of the existing liner and/or the
very creased undulating existing edge it does not appear to stick as well as
I would like.

Anyone any other solutions? Any mastic like substances that will stick to
the butyl and give additional help? When completed it will be covered again
and not subject to significant movement.

It is not really practical to lower the waterfall to lower the water surface
below the edge.

JohnB

Old 14-04-2003, 01:32 AM
david

My first thought is that you could probably do it with the adhesive they use
for repairing cycle inner tubes.
Then you might be able to use Silicon sealer, seems to stick almost
everything. Then again if it's not going to move you could probably use
Roofing felt adhesive.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 15-11-2006, 04:37 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
[...]

First I have to say its very difficult to trouble shoot a waterfall leak without actually seeing it. Second, I would probably recommend (depending on the waterfall size) tearing the whole thing out and rebuilding WITHOUT mortar. About 8 years ago, I built a watergarden similar to what you are referring to. The waterfall had what I would describe as a similar sounding leak. The end result, it was torn out and rebuilt correctly... without mortar. The bigger concern is that, if you have found 1 leak, there may in fact be others. If you decide not to tear it out and rebuild, then your best bet is to use a silicone adhesive as someone else described. It will adhere to the rubber liner; however, you must be cautious to get water-resistent indoor/outdoor silicone and clean the area well before applying the silicone. Smere that stuff all over the leaky area and let it sit for 24 hours before turning the water back on. Best of luck!

Repairing butyl rubber pond liner Owdboggy Ponds 1 25-04-2011 10:52 PM
Butyl pond liner uk Broadback Ponds 2 18-01-2006 07:11 AM
Patching torn Butyl rubber liner? Dave Bell Ponds 4 01-06-2004 09:09 PM
Extending edge of butyl liner to stop leaking JohnB United Kingdom 1 14-04-2003 03:20 PM
Extending edge of butyl pond liner to stop leaking JohnB United Kingdom 3 14-04-2003 12:20 AM