Old 13-04-2003, 01:56 PM
JohnB

Default Extending edge of butyl pond liner to stop leaking

I have inherited a pond - or rather series of 3 ponds connected with water
falls that were made using one single sheet of butyl rubber.

I have begun losing significant amounts of water and have tracked it down to
a hidden section of liner dipping just below water level when the waterfalls
are going. I have exposed the faulty section that was hidden by morter.
Originally the morter nearly sealed the area but appears to have been worn
away by the slow passage of water.

I would like to attach a strip of rubber liner to the existing edge to
effectively raise the edge by an inch or so. I have initially tried using a
strip adhesive on a roll that is carried by a white backing paper - not sure
of the name but intended for sticking patches to the liner.

Due to (possibly) insufficient cleaning of the existing liner and/or the
very creased undulating existing edge it does not appear to stick as well as
I would like.

Anyone any other solutions? Any mastic like substances that will stick to
the butyl and give additional help? When completed it will be covered again
and not subject to significant movement.

It is not really practical to lower the waterfall to lower the water surface
below the edge.

JohnB

Old 13-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "JohnB" contains these words:

I would like to attach a strip of rubber liner to the existing edge to
effectively raise the edge by an inch or so. I have initially tried using a
strip adhesive on a roll that is carried by a white backing paper - not sure
of the name but intended for sticking patches to the liner.

Anyone any other solutions? Any mastic like substances that will stick to
the butyl and give additional help? When completed it will be covered again
and not subject to significant movement.

It is not really practical to lower the waterfall to lower the water surface
below the edge.

There is special adhesive for sticking butyl to butyl supplied by butyl
stockists. When I had a leak, Midland Butyl or Pond Liners Direct (can't
remember which but can look it up if you're interested) posted me a tube
very quickly for just the cost of the postage. I seem to remember the
adhesive cost about £8.
Ignore this if I've misunderstood what you want!

Janet G

Old 13-04-2003, 10:44 PM
JohnB

That is exactly what I want although I may need a larger volume - depends on
the size of tube of course - but is a good start for enquiries.

Thanks

JohnB

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...

Old 14-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "JohnB" contains these words:

That is exactly what I want although I may need a larger volume - depends on
the size of tube of course - but is a good start for enquiries.

Thanks

JohnB

Good! Try 01335 372133 (Midland Butyl Limited)

Janet G

Repairing butyl rubber pond liner Owdboggy Ponds 1 25-04-2011 10:52 PM
Extending edge of butyl pond liner to stop leaking JohnB United Kingdom 2 15-11-2006 04:37 AM
Butyl pond liner uk Broadback Ponds 2 18-01-2006 07:11 AM
Patching torn Butyl rubber liner? Dave Bell Ponds 4 01-06-2004 09:09 PM
Extending edge of butyl liner to stop leaking JohnB United Kingdom 1 14-04-2003 03:20 PM