Old 16-07-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
Weatherlawyer

Default Night scopes

I have foxes tearing up some flower beds that I have spent ages on this
year. I can't afford the way they throw the soil onto the grass let
alone the damage to flowers on the other hand they might be rewarding
if put online.

Decisions decisions!

Do they make scopes for web cameras? And how much would they be?

Old 16-07-2006, 11:07 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
Simon

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have foxes tearing up some flower beds that I have spent ages on this
year. I can't afford the way they throw the soil onto the grass let
alone the damage to flowers on the other hand they might be rewarding
if put online.

Decisions decisions!

Do they make scopes for web cameras? And how much would they be?

Hello -

Some CCD-based webcams work quite well in low light conditions - they should
give an adequate image in bright moonlight, otherwise an IR illuminator will
be required at night. I think Philips and Logitech sell suitable cameras.
There are a few examples of what can be done with a Philips Toucam Pro
webcam at http://www.sgurr.co.uk/lundycam/gallery.html

Old 16-07-2006, 11:17 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
Krustov

uk.comp.homebuilt
Weatherlawyer
16 Jul 2006 02:32:18 -0700
.com

I have foxes tearing up some flower beds that I have spent ages on this
year. I can't afford the way they throw the soil onto the grass let
alone the damage to flowers on the other hand they might be rewarding
if put online.

Decisions decisions!

Cant remember if it was foxes - but seem to recall reading somewhere if
you visit your local zoo and get some lion poop - then some animals wont
even come near the place once you put it down .

Daresay a google search would be worthwhile if interested .

--
Encrypted email address
www.emailuser.co.uk/?acc=1
Old 16-07-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
chris 159

Krustov wrote:
uk.comp.homebuilt
Weatherlawyer
16 Jul 2006 02:32:18 -0700
.com

I have foxes tearing up some flower beds that I have spent ages on
this year. I can't afford the way they throw the soil onto the grass
let alone the damage to flowers on the other hand they might be
rewarding if put online.

Decisions decisions!

Cant remember if it was foxes - but seem to recall reading somewhere
if you visit your local zoo and get some lion poop - then some
animals wont even come near the place once you put it down .

Daresay a google search would be worthwhile if interested .

thats to stop cats going in your yard. and since foot and mouth zoo's arent
allowed to sell it any longer. i rang longleat and asked about it. good
garden centres sell some sort of lion poo by-product called roar thats meant
to do the same job. but considering this thread is about foxes i dont
suppose this information matters much :-)
Chris

Old 16-07-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
Wedell

thats to stop cats going in your yard. and since foot and mouth zoo's
arent allowed to sell it any longer. i rang longleat and asked about it.
good garden centres sell some sort of lion poo by-product called roar
thats meant to do the same job. but considering this thread is about
foxes i dont suppose this information matters much :-)

Like most animals that spray scent as a marker for their territory, you can
overcome it by spraying the area down with some strong discenfecant like
Izal or even Zoflora. I'd put it down neat around the worst prone area.
The animal is (1) likely to be put off by the smell and (2) won't recognise
the area as their own and will probably avoid spraying it.

Old 16-07-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
Weatherlawyer

Wedell wrote:
thats to stop cats going in your yard. and since foot and mouth zoo's
arent allowed to sell it any longer. i rang longleat and asked about it.
good garden centres sell some sort of lion poo by-product called roar
thats meant to do the same job. but considering this thread is about
foxes i dont suppose this information matters much :

Quite!

If I could get hold of the buggers I'd **** all over them myself. I
wouldn't need to carry pocketloads of micturition for that.

Like most animals that spray scent as a marker for their territory, you can
overcome it by spraying the area down with some strong discenfecant like
Izal or even Zoflora. I'd put it down neat around the worst prone area.
The animal is (1) likely to be put off by the smell and (2) won't recognise
the area as their own and will probably avoid spraying it.

It was just a thought about getting something to see them with. A
problem is white placcy windows and sodium lamp on the side of the
building reflecting off the uPVC.

Old 17-07-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
Synapse Syndrome

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have foxes tearing up some flower beds that I have spent ages on this
year. I can't afford the way they throw the soil onto the grass let
alone the damage to flowers on the other hand they might be rewarding
if put online.

Decisions decisions!

Do they make scopes for web cameras? And how much would they be?

Something like this would probably be ideal. Bit pricey though..
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezS...productID=1253

ss.

Old 17-07-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

"Krustov" wrote in message
uk.comp.homebuilt
Weatherlawyer
16 Jul 2006 02:32:18 -0700
.com

I have foxes tearing up some flower beds that I have spent ages on this
year. I can't afford the way they throw the soil onto the grass let
alone the damage to flowers on the other hand they might be rewarding
if put online.

Decisions decisions!

Cant remember if it was foxes - but seem to recall reading somewhere if
you visit your local zoo and get some lion poop - then some animals wont
even come near the place once you put it down .

Daresay a google search would be worthwhile if interested .

--
Encrypted email address
www.emailuser.co.uk/?acc=1

Tearing up flower beds, vegetable patches lawns is more typical of badgers
chasing earthworms. They have a large territory and visit different
locations looking for earhworms. Local night humidity and proximity of worms
to the surface appears to dictate their current preference.
They duff over my onion beds, lawn and the lane leading to our house.
Attacks last for about a week then they move off.
Regards
David T

Old 18-07-2006, 02:49 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
adm

"Simon" wrote in message
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have foxes tearing up some flower beds that I have spent ages on this
year. I can't afford the way they throw the soil onto the grass let
alone the damage to flowers on the other hand they might be rewarding
if put online.

Decisions decisions!

Do they make scopes for web cameras? And how much would they be?

Hello -

Some CCD-based webcams work quite well in low light conditions

I'll say. I use them to take pictures of the planets at night:
http://www.adm.smugmug.com/gallery/974519

they should
give an adequate image in bright moonlight, otherwise an IR illuminator
will
be required at night. I think Philips and Logitech sell suitable cameras.
There are a few examples of what can be done with a Philips Toucam Pro
webcam at http://www.sgurr.co.uk/lundycam/gallery.html

I also recommend the Toucam Pro

Old 19-07-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
Alan Walker

Default Night scopes, lion poo and Maplins.

Krustov wrote:
uk.comp.homebuilt
Weatherlawyer
16 Jul 2006 02:32:18 -0700
.com

I have foxes tearing up some flower beds that I have spent ages on
this year. I can't afford the way they throw the soil onto the grass
let alone the damage to flowers on the other hand they might be
rewarding if put online.

Decisions decisions!

Cant remember if it was foxes - but seem to recall reading somewhere
if you visit your local zoo and get some lion poop - then some
animals wont even come near the place once you put it down .

Daresay a google search would be worthwhile if interested .

I knew somebody years ago swore by that trick. It was also, I'm told,
effective on demonstrations for keeping the police horses away from you.

I'm sure your local zoo would let you have some if you're prepared to shovel
it yourself.

If you have any cats or dogs in your house it might be quite disturbing for
them though.

Maplin and various other electric/electronic suppliers do a range of
infra-red cameras, alarms, floodlights etc. I'd expect a bright light
switched on by an IR detector would scare away your diggers, and might also
be used to trigger a cam. A properly sited light shouldn't be too disturbing
for you or neighbours.

--

Alan

Old 19-07-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.rec.gardening
gort

Same here (ie I use them for astrophotography.) You can't get new
Toucam Pro's anymore, but the Philips SPC900 is the latest model
that uses the same sensitive 1 lux CCD. I've modified my spc for long
exposures too, using the method detailed he
http://www.home.zonnet.nl/m.m.j.meij...Y/spc900nc.htm
which was a bit easier than modding the Toucam!
HTH

Toucam Pro seems to be still available on Ebay, but alot are chinese !!!!

Dave

Night flowering tree?? Tony Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
"City Gardener" last night and Miscanthus Annabel United Kingdom 5 02-04-2003 02:44 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
transplanting night blooming jasmine Zemedelec Gardening 4 28-02-2003 06:03 PM
how much plant is too much plant for fish at night? linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-02-2003 03:54 AM