Old 16-07-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JamesB

Default Veggies for sowing now

Hi,

Having just lifted my first ever potatoes (only just got into this
gardening lark), I find myself with a nice bare patch of ground that the
missus is complaining about.
The question is, is there anything I can plant in that space for either
lifting autumn or spring? I've heard it's the last chance to plant
runner beans, or possibly peas. Any ideas?

Thanks,

James
Old 16-07-2006, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JamesB

Jimoid wrote:
I asked on this group three weeks ago what veg I could plant for an
autumn harvest and was advised that carrots, beetroot and lettuce would
all be good. I planted from seed two weeks ago all three and can tell
you that the beetroot and lettuce are coming along well (nearly every
seed geminated). The carrots however have only taken in a couple of
places.
Hope this helps,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have more than enough carrots
and lettuce on the go at the moment.

Beetroot could be a possibility I suppose, I'm just not a massive fan of it.

Thanks,

James
Old 16-07-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"JamesB" wrote
Having just lifted my first ever potatoes (only just got into this
gardening lark), I find myself with a nice bare patch of ground that the
missus is complaining about.
The question is, is there anything I can plant in that space for either
lifting autumn or spring? I've heard it's the last chance to plant runner
beans, or possibly peas. Any ideas?

Plant some Early Peas (Early Onward, Feltham First) and you will get a crop
before the winter but they will need lots of water and no peas like this
heat at the moment. Over the years we have come to the conclusion that wire
netting is the best thing for them to climb up, lasts a long time too.
Runner beans would probably give you a crop before the first frost but
depends where you are, but the same applies as regards peas and the heat and
water.

Carrot seed can be a pain to germinate, especially seed from seed merchants
in our experience**, so we keep our own seed of Long Red Surrey or Chertsey
Carrot and get about 100% germination. Thomas Etty Esq sells it.
http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/ and you just leave some to flower the second
year.

Get a few different packets of lettuce and mix them together or get pre
mixed seed so you get a row of all different types, webs, cos, red, rosso,
lollo, frilly etc. much better for the ordinary gardener than a whole row of
one kind.

You will be planting Garlic in a couple of months or so anyway.

**I'm sure the polishing off of all the hooks etc on the seed to make it
easier to handle has something to do with it. For those that don't know,
Carrot seed is furry naturally and sticks to clothing etc.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-07-2006, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"JamesB" wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: Having just lifted my first ever potatoes (only just got into this
: gardening lark), I find myself with a nice bare patch of ground that the
: missus is complaining about.
: The question is, is there anything I can plant in that space for either
: lifting autumn or spring? I've heard it's the last chance to plant
: runner beans, or possibly peas. Any ideas?
:
: Thanks,
:
: James

Try some white turnip, they are quick growing and delicious

Old 16-07-2006, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JamesB

Bob Hobden wrote:
"JamesB" wrote
Having just lifted my first ever potatoes (only just got into this
gardening lark), I find myself with a nice bare patch of ground that the
missus is complaining about.
The question is, is there anything I can plant in that space for either
lifting autumn or spring? I've heard it's the last chance to plant runner
beans, or possibly peas. Any ideas?

Plant some Early Peas (Early Onward, Feltham First) and you will get a crop
before the winter but they will need lots of water and no peas like this
heat at the moment. Over the years we have come to the conclusion that wire
netting is the best thing for them to climb up, lasts a long time too.
Runner beans would probably give you a crop before the first frost but
depends where you are, but the same applies as regards peas and the heat and
water.

Thanks Bob. I think peas might be the way to go. It's a very new plot
and I don't think the soil is up to much (had to break up a path to make
it), so I guess the peas would put something good back in. Watering's no
problem - no hosepipe ban here, despite what my neighbour keeps shouting
at me.

I might be a bit too far north to get the beans before the first frost
(Wrexham).

Old 16-07-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Russel Sprout

"JamesB" wrote in message
Jimoid wrote:
I asked on this group three weeks ago what veg I could plant for an
autumn harvest and was advised that carrots, beetroot and lettuce would
all be good. I planted from seed two weeks ago all three and can tell
you that the beetroot and lettuce are coming along well (nearly every
seed geminated). The carrots however have only taken in a couple of
places.
Hope this helps,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have more than enough carrots
and lettuce on the go at the moment.

Yes, but you will not have in two months time.

Old 16-07-2006, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton

In message
JamesB wrote:
Hi,

Having just lifted my first ever potatoes (only just got into this
gardening lark), I find myself with a nice bare patch of ground that the
missus is complaining about. The question is, is there anything
I can plant in that space for either lifting autumn or spring? I've
heard it's the last chance to plant runner beans, or possibly peas. Any
ideas?

Worth looking for purple sprouting broccoli plants. Will stand through the
winter and give spears next March.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames
Old 17-07-2006, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JamesB

Russel Sprout wrote:
"JamesB" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have more than enough carrots
and lettuce on the go at the moment.

Yes, but you will not have in two months time.

I see your point, but I mean I've already taken care of space, etc for
that :-)