Old 17-07-2006, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Fruit harvest

Wehey! I am harvesting the fruit of my labour, and last night picked
easily 2 or three kilos of blackcurrants from the one bush, and about 4
kilos + of gooseberries from 2 bushes.
Those are now in the fridge, waiting for me to have the time to make
small amounts of jam, a bit of stewed gooseberry some evening this
week.
I am also harvesting a nice few raspberries, about a bowl every few
days, just enough to add to the morning porridge, and to eat like
sweets. The strawberries were delicious, but few, and there are a few
still to ripen, but there'll be no jam this year.

On the veg front, I am keeping an eye on what will be a seriously good
broad bean harvest. I followed advice I read here last week, and
harvested a few about finger size, and steamed them whole lightly, to
eat them as mangetout with a home made vinaigrette - simply delicious,
and thank you whoever gave me that idea (the name escapes).
I will be experimenting with pod size this week, to harvest when the
beans are still tender.

Oh, and I now have some very tiny - and very green - tomatoes.

Add to that that the sun is splitting the rocks. Life is good!

Cat(h)

Old 19-07-2006, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Cat(h) wrote:

(snip)

Add to that that the sun is splitting the rocks. Life is good!

Innit!

It was so hot yesterday, I went to the lotty at 7.30pm to harvest sweet
peas (from France, very strong scented), broadbeans, peas, raspberries,
redberries (as big as gooseberries these), cucumbers, chards, lettuces,
garlic and I took some pictures (below). The light at around 10pm was
amazing. The white flowers (leeks) were so ghostly, the grasses glowing
.... I couldn't go home it was so beautiful. And I stood there so
quietly for so long I spooked a cat drinking at my pond.

Now ... this young steamed broadbean you've eaten ... are you sure it's
a broadbean? Isn't it too hairy and chewy?! ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?htqI0fxRNC
http://cjoint.com/?htqJY5sECG
http://cjoint.com/?htqKvLQnLt