Old 21-07-2006, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Olive farming

Maybe the new 'fashion' for olive trees isn't just a passing fad, after all!
http://www.otterfarm.co.uk/index.htm
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-07-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/7/06 10:19, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:59:07 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Maybe the new 'fashion' for olive trees isn't just a passing fad, after all!
http://www.otterfarm.co.uk/index.htm

Gardeners World is offering free olive trees to all. (plus GBP4.50
p&p)

Some where a southern EU olive farmer gets a subsidy for getting rid
of his olive trees and somebody ships the trees to UK? :-)

One of the garden designers at Hampton Court had used some gorgeous old
olive trees for which he already had customers before he imported them.
Those came from Spain where a brisk trade has developed in shipping abroad
olive trees that are 'in the way' of the big housing developments going on
there. I own a plot of land in Crete with about 12 olive trees on it. I
wonder what it would cost to dig 'em up and ship them to Devon! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-07-2006, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 Sacha wrote:

Maybe the new 'fashion' for olive trees isn't just a passing fad, after all!
http://www.otterfarm.co.uk/index.htm

Some where a southern EU olive farmer gets a subsidy for getting rid
of his olive trees and somebody ships the trees to UK? :-)

One of the garden designers at Hampton Court had used some gorgeous old
olive trees for which he already had customers before he imported them.
Those came from Spain where a brisk trade has developed in shipping abroad
olive trees that are 'in the way' of the big housing developments going on
there. I own a plot of land in Crete with about 12 olive trees on it. I
wonder what it would cost to dig 'em up and ship them to Devon! ;-)

But how good would they be at producing olives in South Devon? ;-)

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 21-07-2006, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/7/06 12:23, in article ,
"David Rance" wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 Sacha wrote:

Maybe the new 'fashion' for olive trees isn't just a passing fad, after
all!
http://www.otterfarm.co.uk/index.htm

Some where a southern EU olive farmer gets a subsidy for getting rid
of his olive trees and somebody ships the trees to UK? :-)

One of the garden designers at Hampton Court had used some gorgeous old
olive trees for which he already had customers before he imported them.
Those came from Spain where a brisk trade has developed in shipping abroad
olive trees that are 'in the way' of the big housing developments going on
there. I own a plot of land in Crete with about 12 olive trees on it. I
wonder what it would cost to dig 'em up and ship them to Devon! ;-)

But how good would they be at producing olives in South Devon? ;-)

You haven't looked at the link, have you? ;-) A farmer is planting an
olive farm in the Otter Valley because he reckons that with global
warming.... He's got almond trees, too!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-07-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 21/7/06 12:23, in article ,
"David Rance" wrote:

[...]

I think he looks like a "would be farmer" Hobby farming springs to mind.
Having belittled his efforts I do admit that we have a local farmer with
Ostrich and Lamas and he is making a go of it.
The Italians don't do very good clotted cream-so give the olives a miss:-)

Old 21-07-2006, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 Sacha wrote:

Maybe the new 'fashion' for olive trees isn't just a passing fad, after
all!
http://www.otterfarm.co.uk/index.htm

Some where a southern EU olive farmer gets a subsidy for getting rid
of his olive trees and somebody ships the trees to UK? :-)

One of the garden designers at Hampton Court had used some gorgeous old
olive trees for which he already had customers before he imported them.
Those came from Spain where a brisk trade has developed in shipping abroad
olive trees that are 'in the way' of the big housing developments going on
there. I own a plot of land in Crete with about 12 olive trees on it. I
wonder what it would cost to dig 'em up and ship them to Devon! ;-)

But how good would they be at producing olives in South Devon? ;-)

You haven't looked at the link, have you? ;-)

Er, no. hangs head in shame

Well actually I looked at the pictures but not the text.

A farmer is planting an
olive farm in the Otter Valley because he reckons that with global
warming.... He's got almond trees, too!

Hmm, I wonder.... Perhaps I could dig up a few cider apple trees.....

Almonds, you say? What about oranges?

David

Old 21-07-2006, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"David Rance" wrote in message
news
[...]

OK so that's Olives for Sacha, Oranges for David and Rice for Janet
Barraclough. I will have a go a potatoes.

Old 21-07-2006, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Sacha wrote:
On 21/7/06 10:19, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:59:07 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Maybe the new 'fashion' for olive trees isn't just a passing fad, after all!
http://www.otterfarm.co.uk/index.htm

Gardeners World is offering free olive trees to all. (plus GBP4.50
p&p)

Some where a southern EU olive farmer gets a subsidy for getting rid
of his olive trees and somebody ships the trees to UK? :-)

One of the garden designers at Hampton Court had used some gorgeous old
olive trees for which he already had customers before he imported them.
Those came from Spain where a brisk trade has developed in shipping abroad
olive trees that are 'in the way' of the big housing developments going on
there. I own a plot of land in Crete with about 12 olive trees on it. I
wonder what it would cost to dig 'em up and ship them to Devon! ;-)
--

A few years back, I visited a fruit and nut (and olive) farm in
Northern California. At the end of their productive life, the farmer

Cat(h)

Old 21-07-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:
On 21/7/06 10:19, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

[...]

A few more folk have latched onto the lucrative idea of olive trees so the
price has only risen a little in the last few years. Local GC has mature
things in 250L pots at £800.
Horrible gnarled things with a few leaves and the occasional olive.
I suppose they might look nice in a Japanese type theme but I think one
could get a better effect with an old knackered tree trunk.

Old 21-07-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes
I think he looks like a "would be farmer" Hobby farming springs to
mind. Having belittled his efforts I do admit that we have a local
farmer with Ostrich and Lamas and he is making a go of it. The Italians
don't do very good clotted cream-so give the olives a miss:-)

What, with both? There's ostriches jut down the road from us and llamas
on the Chevin, but you've got another one your way have you?
--
Kay

Old 21-07-2006, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes
I think he looks like a "would be farmer" Hobby farming springs to mind.
Having belittled his efforts I do admit that we have a local farmer with
Ostrich and Lamas and he is making a go of it. The Italians don't do very
good clotted cream-so give the olives a miss:-)

What, with both? There's ostriches jut down the road from us and llamas on
the Chevin, but you've got another one your way have you?
--
Kay

Thought Chevin man did/does ostriches, Some scandal with ostrich
investment.?
Let's revive the textile industry in your area and start rearing Alpaca

Old 21-07-2006, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes
I think he looks like a "would be farmer" Hobby farming springs to mind.
Having belittled his efforts I do admit that we have a local farmer with
Ostrich and Lamas and he is making a go of it. The Italians don't do very
good clotted cream-so give the olives a miss:-)

What, with both? There's ostriches jut down the road from us and llamas on
the Chevin, but you've got another one your way have you?

Thought Chevin man did/does ostriches,

Never seen them there. Local ostrich farm sells ostrich meat but not
from own ostriches AFAIK.

Some scandal with ostrich
investment.?
Let's revive the textile industry in your area and start rearing Alpaca

I know someone who is.

--
Kay
Old 21-07-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

OK so that's Olives for Sacha, Oranges for David and Rice for Janet
Barraclough. I will have a go a potatoes.

Aim higher, Rupey. I'm already growing potatoes, lemons and an olive
tree.
You seem a bit sloe, so perhaps you could make the gin?

:-)

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry

Your incineration about my abilities to produce bath tub Gin have laid me
prostitute on the ground.
Lemons and Olives can be reserved for the booze-but I need the potatoes to
produce the gin.
Any road can we grow rice in the UK (including Scotland) -loadsa water and
what else does it need?

Old 23-07-2006, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes
I think he looks like a "would be farmer" Hobby farming springs to mind.
Having belittled his efforts I do admit that we have a local farmer with
Ostrich and Lamas and he is making a go of it. The Italians don't do very
good clotted cream-so give the olives a miss:-)

What, with both? There's ostriches jut down the road from us and llamas
on the Chevin, but you've got another one your way have you?
--
Kay

Thought Chevin man did/does ostriches, Some scandal with ostrich
investment.?
Let's revive the textile industry in your area and start rearing Alpaca

Ashdown Forest Llamas
You can take them for a walk too