Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-07-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Instant Hedge required

First time poster here, but seeking the advice of green fingered
friendly types )

Today I found out that my plans to extend the side of our garden would
be rejected by the local council, as depite the fact that I own the
plot of land, it's marked as being reserved for "public enjoyment" -
something about ammienety land or something ?? Therefore, i'm not
allowed to put any permenent structure on this 'strip' of 6ft, 45ft
land which runs paralell to my house.

Anyway - so my plans for a 45ft long closeboard fence are skuppered,
but I would still like to extend the garden, and advised by the council
planners that a 45ft row of plants would be acceptable as they're not a
permenent structure.

Now, fences are instant, and to my delight, so are hedges these days,
thanks to a search around Google. But I'm not sure about the
practicality of one.

The hedge would have to serve two fold. One to prevent access through
the hedge from unwanted people / burglers and roaming animals, but also
to ensure that my dog could not escape.

What are real world experiences like of purchasing hedges that are
already 5/6ft high, planting and actually doing what I require?
Clearly, (or so I've now read), better is to plant small, which will
give me a denser hedge, but time is of the essence here, and like most
things in society these days, I want the result as soon as possible.

Am I really onto a looser going about it this way? Or should I divert
my energy and not think about extending the garden ?

Critical and positive replies most welcome ;o)

Thanks again,
Andy

Instant Hedge! Simon C United Kingdom 2 24-07-2004 11:05 PM
"Instant Flowerbeds" - any good? Ben United Kingdom 2 16-07-2003 05:25 PM
"Instant Flowerbeds" - any good? Ben United Kingdom 0 15-07-2003 08:17 PM