Old 22-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Simon C

Default Instant Hedge!

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I'll look at the Gardening Answers mag - failing that I think I'll go
for the Fence option!

Cheers

Simon C

"D Russell" wrote in message ...
"Simon C" wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

I know that lots of people want this sort of thing, and I know I may
be asking for the world in this..

But I need to plant a hedge (oval leaf privet as a preference) and I
would like to plant as large a hedge as possible as it will help give
the front of my house more privacy. Couple of questions..

1. Who can sell me the largest Oval leaf privet hedge and how much
will it cost?
2. I'm in Penarth (near Cardiff), so either the supplier will have to
deliver of be fairly local for me to pick up.
3. Will there be a danger of the plant not lasting as long as one
planted much younger?

Ideally, I would love to get a 5ft / 6ft hedge, but budget is limited!
I don't mind waiting until the Autumn to plant, but would prefer to do
it now!

Any advice gratefully appreciated

There's an article in one of the gradening magazines this month, may be
July's issue, that deals with exactly this issue. The idea of sourcing and
using large established plants. I think it gives lots of contact details at
the end of the article. I think it was the "Garden Answers" magazine.
Duncan

Old 22-07-2004, 05:17 PM
flower faerie

Kay wrote:
In article , Sue thewoodies2@SPO
ILERntlworld.com writes

Had you thought of erecting a fence and planting younger plants in front and
wait for them to grow?

Sue

The logic behind that is that younger plants usually settle more
quickly, so that in 3 years time you may have a taller and thicker hedge
with the younger plants than you would have got planting older plants.

yep, I've found this with some leylandii I planted. I had a few 5-6ft
plants and the 1ft plants I planted at the same time have now caught up!

hopefully they'll take off over the next few years and provide a screen
for an ugly industrial building my garden backs onto.

ff.