Old 23-07-2006, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
EagleEyes

Default Two quick questions :)

Hello,

A friend of mine came from italy and brought me 4 packs of rose seeds
and 6 pack of orchid seeds. I know you can grow roses and orchids from
seed, but I never did it before. I googled it and I found many
different ways (put in sand, put in cold, put in bags in the fridge,
put 1 day in the freezer... ...). Can anyone help me? When should I
sown the seeds and how? when to move them? I know it will take time,
but I want to try it for the fun...

I need to cover an area of 4 sqm with a small shrub (30-40cm height),
with or withouf flowers (preference with but does not matter) but I
want a redish color, the stronger the red the better. I though about
the dogwood, but it is not exacly what I want.

Thanks in advance

PA

Old 25-07-2006, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Roses, yes. Orchids, no...

Good luck!! It is not easy...

For the roses take a look at

http://dir.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/r...310016173.html

No idea about the orchids, I saw a few for sale and I might it a go...

..M.

Old 28-07-2006, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
EagleEyes writes

I need to cover an area of 4 sqm with a small shrub (30-40cm height),
with or withouf flowers (preference with but does not matter) but I
want a redish color, the stronger the red the better. I though about
the dogwood, but it is not exacly what I want.

Berberis thunbergia? Some of them can grow quite low and with reddish
leaves it should provide longer colour than just flowers.
What about Japanese blood grass? Not quite red but reddish tinge to
leaves and stays fairly healthy in spite of drought.
Ceratostigma? But that only seems apparent for a short while in my
garden.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy