Old 29-07-2006, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What can I do about neighbours ivy growing onto my property ??

Got a problem now.

Decieded to for this time only, to prise it away from my wall and just
bend it over the boundary wall. So that any new growth sort of arches
away .

The tendriles were lifting the roof tiles and were under the verge and
barge boards.

The problem now is in doing that, the top course of say 4 bricks from
the boundary wall were dislodged and went crashing down, and smashed a
few pots.

But people often say that ivy does no damage it merely shows up damage
that's already there.

I was under the impression that it ate into the mortar then the bricks
thereby damaging the wall. I also thought that plants such as Virginia
Creeper, Climbing Hydrangea did NOT damage the walls and were the climbers
to have.

How about covering the walls with a thick layer of grease :-)

eeeeeerrrrrr. How would you get it to stick at a time like this ?????????
;-)

Mike

Old 29-07-2006, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Like I have already said.

from my previous posting ......

It will also clear you :-))

"How long has this Ivy been destroying your wall? This is neglect on your
behlaf. Sorry claim for repointing/rebuilding not agreed"

:-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Do keep up Sascha

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 29/7/06 07:01, in article ,
"soletrader" wrote:

Got a problem now.

Decieded to for this time only, to prise it away from my wall and just
bend it over the boundary wall. So that any new growth sort of arches
away .

The tendriles were lifting the roof tiles and were under the verge and
barge boards.

The problem now is in doing that, the top course of say 4 bricks from
the boundary wall were dislodged and went crashing down, and smashed a
few pots.

Now you really must get your insurers involved. On the one hand you have
proof that the ivy has damaged your house but on the other hand, you sort

of
assisted it to prove that!
--
Sacha
South Devon

Old 29-07-2006, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Delighted to see that you are not that weak willed and have strength and
control over yourself :-))

Mike
Also strong enough to not have kill filled anyone :-))

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:26:17 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

Like I have already said.

from my previous posting ......

................................................. ..........................

..
It will also clear you :-))

"How long has this Ivy been destroying your wall? This is neglect on your
behlaf. Sorry claim for repointing/rebuilding not agreed"

:-))

Mike

You are in the kill file of most urg posters.

Old 29-07-2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"soletrader" wrote in message
Got a problem now.

Decieded to for this time only, to prise it away from my wall and just
bend it over the boundary wall. So that any new growth sort of arches
away .

The tendriles were lifting the roof tiles and were under the verge and
barge boards.

The problem now is in doing that, the top course of say 4 bricks from
the boundary wall were dislodged and went crashing down, and smashed a
few pots.

Bad luck - I hope your neighbour will be in an understanding mood when he
discovers the pots and bricks.

Old 31-07-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

You could just cut through it with secateurs on the wall below and give the
cut off bits back to your neighbour. But I'd go the route of talking to
your insurers so as to keep everything at one remove.

You could paint your fence or wall with something like sbk or creosote
or at least something will put off the ivy from growing on that surface
I think systemic weedkiller or something like that wouldn't actually
kill it off (I know I'm trying to get rid of some ivy in a hedge) it
just seems to stop the growth for this year.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
R: Need Help With Trees Growing on Property Line Chet Hayes Lawns 0 01-06-2004 02:30 PM
Need Help With Trees Growing on Property Line MnGddess Lawns 3 31-05-2004 11:11 PM
Can I bud/graft cherry onto plum rootstock? Joe Jamies Gardening 4 06-03-2003 05:27 PM