Old 28-07-2006, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What can I do about neighbours ivy growing onto my property ??

What can I do permanently about my neighbours ivy growing onto my
extension wall, onto my extension roof and onto my house wall ??

The extension is set back by 6 ins from boundary wall.

I have always cut it back to the boundary yearly.

We do not see eye to eye.

As I am getting on a bit how can I stop it permanently and legally.
Old 28-07-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"soletrader" wrote in message
What can I do permanently about my neighbours ivy growing onto my
extension wall, onto my extension roof and onto my house wall ??

The extension is set back by 6 ins from boundary wall.

I have always cut it back to the boundary yearly.

We do not see eye to eye.

As I am getting on a bit how can I stop it permanently and legally.

Best that you do not make matters worse. Keep a fairly low profile.

Looks as if the only solution is for you to continue your pruning of the
ivy. Most householders with gardens experience an invasion of
vegetation from their neighbour's gardens and this is inevitable.
Mostly it is dealt with by chopping it off at the boundary line and
there the matter rests.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-07-2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I like the idea of that.

By far the best method is to write to your house insurers and ask them what
they think !!! A letter from them to your neighbour will sort it out.

Old 28-07-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It will also clear you :-))

"How long has this Ivy been destroying your wall? This is neglect on your
behlaf. Sorry claim for repointing/rebuilding not agreed"

:-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 28-07-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:
It will also clear you :-))

"How long has this Ivy been destroying your wall? This is neglect on your
behlaf. Sorry claim for repointing/rebuilding not agreed"

:-))

Mike

But people often say that ivy does no damage it merely shows up damage
that's already there.

How about covering the walls with a thick layer of grease :-)

Old 28-07-2006, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike wrote:
It will also clear you :-))

"How long has this Ivy been destroying your wall? This is neglect on

your
behlaf. Sorry claim for repointing/rebuilding not agreed"

:-))

Mike

But people often say that ivy does no damage it merely shows up damage
that's already there.

I was under the impression that it ate into the mortar then the bricks
thereby damaging the wall. I also thought that plants such as Virginia
Creeper, Climbing Hydrangea did NOT damage the walls and were the climbers
to have.

How about covering the walls with a thick layer of grease :-)

eeeeeerrrrrr. How would you get it to stick at a time like this ?????????
;-)

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 28-07-2006, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What a pity, another case of 'we don't see eye to eye' :-((

I wouldn't see the destruction of part of my house as being 'we don't see
eye to eye'!

Alan

I was under the impression that 'not seeing eye to eye' was an existing
state over something else, and thereby the OP was not able to approach his
neighbour on this latest matter, ie, the Ivy.

Maybe I am wrong ;-(

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 28-07-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

But I'd go the route of talking to
your insurers so as to keep everything at one remove.
--
Sacha
South Devon

Already done that one.

Dooooooo keep up

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 28-07-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/7/06 11:20, in article ,
"soletrader" wrote:

As I am getting on a bit. I do not relish laying on a roof and trying
to get ivy of the wall below. I will probably have to pay somebody.

snip

Then I would go for the SBK aproach, it is quiet easy to spray it on.

Alan

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
R: Need Help With Trees Growing on Property Line Chet Hayes Lawns 0 01-06-2004 02:30 PM
Need Help With Trees Growing on Property Line MnGddess Lawns 3 31-05-2004 11:11 PM
Can I bud/graft cherry onto plum rootstock? Joe Jamies Gardening 4 06-03-2003 05:27 PM