Old 31-07-2006, 04:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Well, that was nice.....

Sacha wrote:

..... I know how far it is
from us to David's garden and it's extraordinary how his nearness to the
coast, compared to ours to the moor, changes everything!

There's a ridge of high ground running arc-like from the outskirts of
Paignton (south west of here), around to north east of here
encompassing two of the three Torbay towns. The highest point is
Marldon and from there you can see right down to the sea front as well
as across to the edge of the moors in the opposite direction. You can
often make out clearly defined zones - cloudless and sunny down to the
sea, cloudy and/or rainy out to the moors and inland. It's as though
there's an invisible barrier nudging the 'weather' north and east,
bypassing much of the bay. Temperature-wise there's a big difference
as well; most noticeable in winter, which is why the bay's climate is
dryer and warmer than the immediate surrounding areas.

Old 31-07-2006, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/7/06 04:12, in article
, "DavePoole Torquay"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

I enjoy it when we walk the dogs up at the Commandment Stones. It's both
peculiar and beautiful to be standing on Dartmoor and looking down at
Teignmouth in the far, far distance. As you say, you can see the different
weather zones either in place or approaching and we always say that the A38
acts as a sort of barrier round us. Coming down off the moor and crossing
the A38 to come up to home we often find that if it's raining on the moor,
it's dry at home and vice versa.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-07-2006, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , jane
writes

We got some serious rain this past week (at last!). One massive
thunderstorm last Wednesday (28mm of rain in half an hour!) followed
on Thursday by another, lighter one (10mm) and then a further 4mm on
both Thursday night and Saturday night. After the first 38mm, I went
to my allotment and found the soil dampened to about 9" which was
fantastic. It's perked up a lot of plants!

Not 3 miles away in Amersham. We had the cloudbursts okay and the rain
all day for one day but we have missed the previous weeks odd occasional
storms and the water hasn't even penetrated the mulch of shredding on
the top of my beds. I think the rain is very localised!

Beans looks very sorry for themselves , well runners anyway, climbing
ones doing really well as are French though they seem t be over quickly.
Potatoes not too bad and tomatoes have started to romp away in last
fortnight after billions of gallons of water on them from watering cans
(ell it seemed like billions by the time I'd scooped the water out of
the rain barrels at the top of the garden)

Carrots not o too bad but peas have gone over quickly so sowing crop of
early ones to catch before frosts according to Big Dig programme.

If things doesn't encourage us to move westward - nothing will! Though I
may well go armed with a printout of rain fall by the met office as I
feel Amersham's weather has declared its own dry state, storms seem to
circle us then nip off up the road with the water.

Dorneywood is suffering so John Prescott's croquet lawn isn't doing too
well by the look of it on Saturday

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 31-07-2006, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

I can think of a few things he does need. The sack would be a good start.

The garden doesn't seem to be very loved in parts so I don't think he
was a great gardening type
Quite a few unusual trees not long planted but the Whitelaw rose garden
seems very subdued and roses have either been pruned quite energetically
or the plants are young. The vegetable garden had hardly anything save a
few cardoons and some miserable dahlias.
The dell looked good with the large Paulownia in the middle and there
was a very brightly coloured garden between the workers cottages.
The borders at the front or I guess the back of the house were growing
quite well but the clematis (s) on the columns down one side weren't
evident. Strange was to have them, no walkway past them and just column
in a row in the grass.
Ha ha has barbed wire over it as well .
Nice tea and cakes but we were round in about half an hour.
Oh some nice plants in conservatory and the formal pond had a lot of
water lilies in with a very pretty copper fountain .
Guess we were lucky that he didn't put in a theme park as a cowboy ranch
etc

Janet

Old 01-08-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]

You were there with the NT then, a few days ago?

Alan

Janet

Old 01-08-2006, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

You were there with the NT then, a few days ago?

Alan

Friends got 4 tickets for last Saturday. It wasn't an NT but the friends
all open their gardens with the NGS so knew the organisers anyway.
(Trish is the Treasurer for Bucks)

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Well well! Rusty_Hinge[_2_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 04:39 PM
Well well! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 1 11-03-2009 03:58 PM