Old 30-07-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Well, that was nice.....

"Sacha" wrote in message
It rained all day yesterday but a 'soft day' is what, I think, the Irish
would call it. No stair rods, just steady fine rain came our way. It
freshened things up quite a bit but I wonder how much of it went deep

down,
where it's most needed by plants.
Today, we have patchy sun, it's still warm but it's windy, unhappily. I

do
HATE the wind and its drying and damaging effects. How has everyone else
been doing?
--
Sacha
South Devon

Brilliant sunshine on the Isle of Wight with a lot of sun, but nowhere near
as much as we had on our World Cuise earlier this year :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 30-07-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It rained all day yesterday but a 'soft day' is what, I think, the Irish
would call it. No stair rods, just steady fine rain came our way. It
freshened things up quite a bit but I wonder how much of it went deep down,
where it's most needed by plants.
Today, we have patchy sun, it's still warm but it's windy, unhappily. I do
HATE the wind and its drying and damaging effects. How has everyone else
been doing?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

Old 30-07-2006, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha

Your computer clock is wrong

Ours went round the World with us on our World Cruise and is Radio
Controlled don't you know :-))

Please correct your computer clock.

Thank you SO much :-))

Mike
:-))))

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 30-07-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
It rained all day yesterday but a 'soft day' is what, I think, the Irish
would call it. No stair rods, just steady fine rain came our way. It
freshened things up quite a bit but I wonder how much of it went deep

down,
where it's most needed by plants.
Today, we have patchy sun, it's still warm but it's windy, unhappily. I

do
HATE the wind and its drying and damaging effects. How has everyone else
been doing?
--
Sacha
South Devon
(email address on website)

Brilliant sunshine on the Isle of Wight with a lot of sun, but nowhere near
as much as we had on our World Cuise earlier this year :-))

Mike

One shower last night and one this evening here in North Staffordshire,
not enough to do much good, not to contribute to the now empty butts.
Just dig a little with a trowel and I bet you will be disappointed with
how little the rain has reached.
Old 30-07-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
It rained all day yesterday but a 'soft day' is what, I think, the Irish
would call it. No stair rods, just steady fine rain came our way. It
freshened things up quite a bit but I wonder how much of it went deep
down,
where it's most needed by plants.
Today, we have patchy sun, it's still warm but it's windy, unhappily. I
do
HATE the wind and its drying and damaging effects. How has everyone else
been doing?

We had the first rain for weeks 4 days ago and a little more since, ground
seems to have moisture in it for the first time this summer. Main crop
potatoes had collapsed two weeks ago and I'm not sure this rain has come
early enough to save them. Poor Blueberries were covered in fruit but it's
all withered away and one has died right back, nothing to water them with
except hard tap water, similar story with the cranberries.
Pumpkins, tomatoes and chillies are loving it, provided we water daily.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-07-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message
Sacha

Your computer clock is wrong

Ours went round the World with us on our World Cruise and is Radio
Controlled don't you know :-))

Please correct your computer clock.

What the hell is wrong with her clock?

Alan

Thank you SO much :-))

Mike
:-))))

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 30-07-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It rained all day yesterday but a 'soft day' is what, I think, the Irish
would call it. No stair rods, just steady fine rain came our way. It
freshened things up quite a bit but I wonder how much of it went deep
down,
where it's most needed by plants.
Today, we have patchy sun, it's still warm but it's windy, unhappily. I
do
HATE the wind and its drying and damaging effects. How has everyone else
been doing?

Unbeknown to us we had some rain last night, I only found out when I took my
daily walk around the garden and found the ground was wet!

How far it soaked into the ground I wouldn't know as I'm too lazy to bend
over and look!

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-07-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It rained all day yesterday but a 'soft day' is what, I think, the Irish
would call it. No stair rods, just steady fine rain came our way. It
freshened things up quite a bit but I wonder how much of it went deep
down,
where it's most needed by plants.
Today, we have patchy sun, it's still warm but it's windy, unhappily. I
do
HATE the wind and its drying and damaging effects. How has everyone else
been doing?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

Here at the canalshop we finally ran out of stored rainwater (reserved for
fruit and veg only) at the beginning of this week.
We are now on mains usage at the rate of 150 gals per day to keep things
ticking over.
The ornamentals are looking sad but I don't believe in general garden
watering (postage stamps excepted !!)

I too hate the wind - but refreshing breezes are very welcome when you
emerge from the glasshouse, after a watering session in temps over 100 F .

Pete
South Cheshire

www.thecanalshop.com

Old 30-07-2006, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:39:15 +0100, Sacha wrote:

It rained all day yesterday but a 'soft day' is what, I think, the Irish
would call it. No stair rods, just steady fine rain came our way. It
freshened things up quite a bit but I wonder how much of it went deep down,
where it's most needed by plants.
Today, we have patchy sun, it's still warm but it's windy, unhappily. I do
HATE the wind and its drying and damaging effects. How has everyone else
been doing?

In far West Cornwall, I was looking forward to a really wet day
yesterday with heavy rain, as predicted by our local weather forecast.
But not a bit of it. A few showers and a longer period of light rain,
amounting to a little over a tenth of an inch, and a little more today
giving two tenths in total. That brings the July figure up to just
over an inch, whereas the long term average for our neighbourhood is
two and a quarter inches. And June was almost as deficient. My water
butts are long empty!

--
Chris

Old 30-07-2006, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote:
It rained all day yesterday but a 'soft day' is what, I think, the
Irish would call it. No stair rods, just steady fine rain came our
way. It freshened things up quite a bit but I wonder how much of it
went deep down, where it's most needed by plants.
Today, we have patchy sun, it's still warm but it's windy, unhappily.
I do HATE the wind and its drying and damaging effects. How has
everyone else been doing?

It's been sunny and dry here. A few nights ago we did have a good old
downpour (20mm) with the rather spectacular lightning storms, and since
then there's been a couple more short showers but even so the ground's
still parched. What used to be our lawn is mostly now all crispy brown!
Hope your rain makes it across to this side.

--
Sue (E Anglia)

Old 30-07-2006, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We had a couple of short-lived spells of rain that did little more than
wash the dust from the leaves and encourage the snails to wake up.
Today was sunny with a strong drying wind that counteracted anything
yesterday brought, so it was deep watering early morning and evening as
usual. At least the air is fresher though not by as much as I'd been
led to expect.

Old 30-07-2006, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/7/06 18:33, in article , "Peter
Stockdale" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Ha! Tell me about it. I'm lucky in that I don't *have* to spend all day ,
every day in the greenhouses but those who do, are very grateful for a bit
of cooler weather. As to watering the garden, well it's all part of the
nursery and its business so it certainly does get watered with spray lines
but only when essential. Lately, 'essential' has struck.
Tonight, the wind has gone and the temp is comfortably cooler than last week
but certainly not approaching 'cold'. I'd say that it's a little like
coming back from a Med. holiday into a normal British summer temp. and the
very slight 'shock' of change that produces.
As to water use, well - in hot weather with no rain and broadly speaking, it
takes four people near on 2 hours to water inside, outside, and a very small
part of the garden, each morning. It's one of my favourite things around
the nursery, though. Early morning watering is a wonderful time and it's
replicated in thousands of small gardens all over UK. There is something
truly magical about that time of day, IMO - all is silent here except for
birdsong and occasionally, a passenger balloon flying overhead (very few
this year) and I just love the slightly secretive, private feel the place
has at e.g. 7am. Of course, the downside is that the water bill is
horrendous!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-07-2006, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/7/06 20:37, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

[...]

A good illustration of how British 'zones' can change quickly in
comparatively small distances! We feel like a sort of climatic Brigadoon at
times because everything forecast for 'our' area doesn't actually happen to
us.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Well well! Rusty_Hinge[_2_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 04:39 PM
Well well! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 1 11-03-2009 03:58 PM