Old 13-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Steve Harris

Default Saving Seed?

Looking at my veg patch, I notice that some individual plants seem to be
performing much better than others - by a factor of at least 50%.
Should I allow a few of these "good" plants to run to seed and save it
for next year?

In particular, I'm looking at radish broad beans and peas

Thanks!

Old 14-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Cerumen

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Looking at my veg patch, I notice that some individual plants seem to be
performing much better than others - by a factor of at least 50%.
Should I allow a few of these "good" plants to run to seed and save it
for next year?

In particular, I'm looking at radish broad beans and peas

I always used to save seeds from any non hybrid beans or peas (after all
they run to seed before you crop them?) and it was fairly successful but
you need to be very careful with storage conditions.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 15-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Dave Hunt

Looking at my veg patch, I notice that some individual plants seem to be
performing much better than others - by a factor of at least 50%.
Should I allow a few of these "good" plants to run to seed and save it
for next year?

In particular, I'm looking at radish broad beans and peas

Hi Steve....I always save peas (Onward & Geenshaft usually) and Broad Beans
(Bunyards Exhibition & Masterpiece Green Longpod) which have always given me a
good crop the following year... a packet of radish seeds are so cheap to buy,
and one gets thousands, that it's not really worth saving them...besides you
can sow a few of several varieties too..French Breakfast, Sparkler, Black (for
winter) etc...
sunshine and smiles
Dave Hunt...Shropshire
----share what you know...learn what you don't----
Old 16-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Rod

"Steve Harris" wrote in message Actually, Dave, for a change I'm not trying to save money :-). I
have
limited space so I resent the space taken up by less vigorous plants. I
was planning to save the seed from the good ones only :-)

But, if it were that simple, I suppose the seed companies would be doing
something similar.

In the case of non - hybrid seed that's pretty much what seed growers do. A substantial part of their work is
'rogueing', that is walking the crop and removing substandard plants and plants not true to type.

Rod

saving corn seed Loki Edible Gardening 30 09-03-2004 10:29 PM
saving corn seed Loki Edible Gardening 0 05-03-2004 06:04 AM
Saving Tomato seed kenny Edible Gardening 3 24-12-2003 04:32 AM
Saving Tomato Seed? Steve Harris United Kingdom 13 29-08-2003 10:22 PM
Seed saving, book recommendation al Gardening 2 27-02-2003 03:51 AM