Old 06-08-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jalapenos

I've succesfully grown (something of a feat in itself where I'm concerned!)
some Jalapeno peppers, the seeds were sent to me by Rusty Spokes who used to
frequent this group...the plants are now 2 feet tall and heavy with fruit,
each one having 20 or more long green (and hopefully juicy and hot) peppers,
my question is this: how do I know when they are ready? - I don't think they
turn red, and I tasted on about 2 weeks ago and there was no fire in it at
all - it tasted similar to any capsicum type pepper.
Also how can I store them? - I once pickled some about 10 years ago and also
dried some from the same harvest, the pickled ones had no fire when used -
the dried ones did but no 'chilli flavour' if that makes sense, I want to
preserve both if that's possible, how do I do it?

TIA

Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote
I've succesfully grown (something of a feat in itself where I'm
concerned!) some Jalapeno peppers, the seeds were sent to me by Rusty
Spokes who used to frequent this group...the plants are now 2 feet tall
and heavy with fruit, each one having 20 or more long green (and hopefully
juicy and hot) peppers, my question is this: how do I know when they are
ready? - I don't think they turn red, and I tasted on about 2 weeks ago
and there was no fire in it at all - it tasted similar to any capsicum
type pepper.
Also how can I store them? - I once pickled some about 10 years ago and
also dried some from the same harvest, the pickled ones had no fire when
used - the dried ones did but no 'chilli flavour' if that makes sense, I
want to preserve both if that's possible, how do I do it?

Jalapeno's aren't that hot, Habernero's, Scotch Bonnet, Thai Dragon ......
are! The latter is our favourite as it's consistent and grows and crops well
out on our allotment.
To get them to be as hot as possible you have to stress the plant, this can
be done by withholding water and then flooding them a couple of weeks before
you wish to harvest. Lots of TLC produces mild chillies.
Freezing is best, they thaw out as they went in, almost.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-08-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Phil L" wrote
[...]

I didn't want an extremely hot chilli, I've had scotch bonnets before and
while I agree they are at the higher end of the 'fire scale', they lack
flavour, I requested (in this NG back in January) a pepper which could be
added to food to add flavour as well as fire and was sent some jalapeno
seeds by Rusty....I've tasted one and they taste quite nice but as yet have
no power, I'm hoping this will change pretty soon.

To get them to be as hot as possible you have to stress the plant,
this can be done by withholding water and then flooding them a couple
of weeks before you wish to harvest. Lots of TLC produces mild
chillies.

They don't get any TLC but they do get watered regularly, being so close to
the tomatoes I can't really follow this advice, but I will remember for next
year, thanks.

Freezing is best, they thaw out as they went in, almost.

Almost is good enough! - I find dried ones boring and pickled ones are a
waste of time IMV.....I assume the thawed ones will only be suitable for
cooking? - salads are out of the question?

Old 07-08-2006, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote after
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Phil L" wrote
[...]

Yes unless you like soft chillies in your salads. :-)
I thought pickled ones were fine for salads?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-08-2006, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MDJ MDJ is offline

On a related topic but not strictly a reply to your post i'm afraid..!

I'm trying Jalapenos for the first time this year as well. There are
probably numerous things i've done wrong... one of which is being too late
in sowing - now have 12 1.5-2ft high plants with only a few tiny peppers
emerging...

Anyway my question is - The ones i've planted into peat-free (i.e. quite
woody) growbags have quite yellowed leaves. I initially assumed this was
from overwatering as I believe my friend drowned them daily when I was on
holiday, so I didn't water them for a few days and although they're looking
a bit healthier they're not exactly thriving (and still yellowed). I've fed
them with general purpose feed about once every ten days over the last few
weeks, but overall a bit disappointing.

One thing that's maybe quite telling is one plant I didn't transplant, which
is still in a pot now much too small for it seems to be doing at least as
well as the ones I transplanted into the bags a month ago, and much greener.

Any suggestions? is it the peat free bags i'm using? They seem more like
bark mulch than useful growing medium.

Any suggestions welcom, Cheers!

Martin

Old 09-08-2006, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "Phil L" :

.the plants are now 2 feet tall and heavy with fruit,
each one having 20 or more long green (and hopefully juicy and hot) peppers,
my question is this: how do I know when they are ready? - I don't think they
turn red,

The do turn red, but are generally picked and eaten green. They will start
going a shade darker green (as the red pigments start to build up, but are
not yet red to the eye) - then they're just about ready. As others have
said they need stressing a bit. I always let then dry out and just start to
wilt then water well a couple of times (this happens normally throughout
the summer anyway).

*Long* peppers? Jalapeno are pretty stout looking - fleshy and roughly
triangular. Are you sure you don't have cayennes? Either way, treat them
the same.
--
Tim C.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to "Phil L" :

.the plants are now 2 feet tall and heavy with fruit,
each one having 20 or more long green (and hopefully juicy and hot)
peppers, my question is this: how do I know when they are ready? - I
don't think they turn red,

The do turn red, but are generally picked and eaten green. They will
start going a shade darker green (as the red pigments start to build
up, but are not yet red to the eye) - then they're just about ready.
As others have said they need stressing a bit. I always let then dry
out and just start to wilt then water well a couple of times (this
happens normally throughout the summer anyway).

*Long* peppers? Jalapeno are pretty stout looking - fleshy and roughly
triangular. Are you sure you don't have cayennes? Either way, treat
them the same.

Cheers, I've just accidentally knocked one off while weeding around them
(I've been away for a fortnight)... so I tasted it and it was quite
powerful, I've just had it sliced on a pizza and also in some pasta sauce, I
did notice however that it was six inches in length but they are not dark
yet, nor any shades of red on any of them, although they get very little
sun, cowering beneath the tomatoes.
I don't know whether they are jalapenos or not, but a regular on here, Rusty
Hinge (I think...there's another Rusty in one of my other groups..) sent
them to me and said they were jalapenos, either way, they taste excellent!

Old 10-08-2006, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "Phil L" :

I did notice however that it was six inches in length

6" ? ...and thin? or thick and fleshy? If thin then I suspect they're
either cayennes. I've never heard of Jalapenos that long, they're normally
around 1.5"-3".
do they look more like these:
http://lesleycooks.tripod.com/images..._jalapenos.jpg

or these:
http://www.pbase.com/rsub8/image/47409424

--
Tim C.
Old 19-08-2006, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote in message
. ..
Tim C. wrote:
Following up to "Phil L" :

[...]

He sent me some as well and I have 4 plants on the go. I will wait a bit
and see if they go red and then try them. I tried one green one and it was
mild; the heat and flavour may improve if it gets darker. I suspect they
are not Jalapenos but if Rusty thought they were worth growing, I will give
them a try anyway; it makes no odds.

Des

mild jalapeños rose Edible Gardening 0 10-02-2004 01:12 AM
mild jalapeños Loki Edible Gardening 0 07-02-2004 08:34 PM
mild jalapeños Loki Edible Gardening 0 07-02-2004 08:33 PM
mild jalapeños Bill Moats Edible Gardening 0 06-02-2004 06:38 PM
Growing Jalapenos swimcoach Edible Gardening 5 12-06-2003 02:20 AM