Old 07-08-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default weeds on my path

Hi All,

I am looking to kill some nasty weeds that keep popping up all over one
of my paths (old fashioned block path). I remember a relative using
sodium chloride to sort his weeds out; is that still the recommended
course of action or are the new (expensive) pathclear type weedkillers
to be favored instead?

Thanks

Gerry
Old 07-08-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I am looking to kill some nasty weeds that keep popping up all over one of
my paths (old fashioned block path). I remember a relative using sodium
chloride to sort his weeds out; is that still the recommended course of
action or are the new (expensive) pathclear type weedkillers to be favored
instead?

Thanks

Gerry

I think you mean Sodium ChlorATE not Sodium ChlorIDE. The former you put on
weeds and the latter you sprinkle on your dinner but never the other way
around :-)

You can still buy Sodium Chlorate. It is fine for paths, but lingers in the
soil which is not a bad thing for a path. Basically is not very nice stuff
and fairly cheap. You can also use Glyphosate (the generic not the brand
name version which is much more expensive) weedkiller.

However, nothing seems to be a permanent solution and weeds still keep
popping up. I tend to alternate between the two different weedkillers. You
could always make a path over some permeable membrane which is more
effective in the long term, but you will still get the odd weed seed or two
settling and rooting.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 07-08-2006, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cuprager" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am looking to kill some nasty weeds that keep popping up all over one of
my paths (old fashioned block path). I remember a relative using sodium
chloride to sort his weeds out; is that still the recommended course of
action or are the new (expensive) pathclear type weedkillers to be favored
instead?
Thanks
Gerry

Sodium chloride is the major constituent of common salt, and is found in
seawater..
I expect you mean sodium chlorate which, treated with a fire suppressant, is
used as a weedkiller. Buy it in bulk and it should be cheaper than the
modern weedkillers. If you have my luck, in a short time you'll clear your
path, and then in a year or less, you'll get a different crop of weeds...

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old 07-08-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
"Cuprager" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am looking to kill some nasty weeds that keep popping up all over one of
my paths (old fashioned block path). I remember a relative using sodium
chloride to sort his weeds out; is that still the recommended course of
action or are the new (expensive) pathclear type weedkillers to be favored
instead?
Thanks
Gerry

Sodium chloride is the major constituent of common salt, and is found in
seawater..
I expect you mean sodium chlorate which, treated with a fire suppressant, is
used as a weedkiller. Buy it in bulk and it should be cheaper than the
modern weedkillers. If you have my luck, in a short time you'll clear your
path, and then in a year or less, you'll get a different crop of weeds...

Trying to keep the weeds of my block paviours is hopeless. A good dose
of sodium chlorate ( purchased in large tub from local garden centre)
kills the weed off but they are back in a few weeks. I have found the
best way is to treat with SC in the Spring then use
Glyphosate periodically during the Summer when necessary.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,demon.local

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:18:31 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
"Cuprager" wrote in message
[...]

Glyphosate, Sodium Chlorate.......nutty professor. If you hate nature
that much, why not just buy a picture? Better still, get a girlfriend,
or in Andy Mabbets case, a boyfriend.

Jim Webster,Barrow-in-Furness farmer,troll & president of Cumbria CLA.
would you let your children near this person? see
http://tinyurl.com/kgbnf
now in the sixth year of raving about Pat Gardiner and
still no result.

Need to complain about employees bringing Country Land and Business Association
into disrepute? Why not contact us at
Country Land and Business Association

16 Belgrave Square
London
SW1X 8PQ

Telephone: +44 (0)20 7235 0511
Fax: +44 (0)20 7235 4696
E-mail:

David Fursdon – President

Phone: 020 7235 0511
FAX: 020 7235 4696
Email

Henry Aubrey-Fletcher – Deputy President

Phone: 020 7235 0511
FAX: 020 7235 4696
Email

William Worsley – Vice President

Phone: 020 7235 0511
FAX: 020 7235 4696
Email

Old 07-08-2006, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,demon.local

wrote:

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
"Cuprager" wrote in message
[...]

No Mabbettry in demon.local!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's in the FAQ 'n Charter!

--

Paul Rooney

"Rooney is one of these vandals and has done his utmost to help trash dl and the
other groups which he regularly crossposts to. He's created a false FAQ
and charter" (Chris Lawrence in uk.rec.walking)

"Also long time d.l. reader but never feel robust enough to post much,
especially since Rooney wrecked the group." (Rachel Sullivan in uk.rec.walking)

"Low life scum doesn't even begin to describe you. You are the most loathsome
individual ever to cross the threshold of d.l." (JK in demon.local)

Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cuprager" wrote in message

I am looking to kill some nasty weeds that keep popping up all over

one
of my paths (old fashioned block path). I remember a relative using
sodium chloride to sort his weeds out; is that still the recommended
course of action or are the new (expensive) pathclear type

weedkillers
to be favored instead?

I've just used boiling water with great results. Make a cuppa then
take a walk with the kettle. It takes a while to do a whole path but
it's cheap and effective.