Old 07-08-2006, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cross-Pollinating

I'm a newbie to veg growing but I'm okay so far but I've got a query about
Chillies and Peppers. Is it possible for chillies (Jalapeno) to
cross-pollinate with peppers (not sure what variety).

I've got numerous plants in various positions in the garden, some in a
mini-greenhouse. My Jalapenos' fruit have grown a bit fat and stubby except
for a couple of plants which have long thin chillies. The plants that have
fat stubby chillies are next to Pepper plants, but the long thin ones are
away from the peppers. To confuse things they also have different soils
conditions.

Is the difference due to the soil or can they cross-pollinate.

I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Siggy

Old 07-08-2006, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Siggy wrote:
I'm a newbie to veg growing but I'm okay so far but I've got a query
about Chillies and Peppers. Is it possible for chillies (Jalapeno) to
cross-pollinate with peppers (not sure what variety).

I've got numerous plants in various positions in the garden, some in a
mini-greenhouse. My Jalapenos' fruit have grown a bit fat and stubby
except for a couple of plants which have long thin chillies. The
plants that have fat stubby chillies are next to Pepper plants, but
the long thin ones are away from the peppers. To confuse things they
also have different soils conditions.

Is the difference due to the soil or can they cross-pollinate.

I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Siggy

It will probably be the different soils, although I have no idea whether
they can be cross pollinated or not.

....regarding chillis in particular, I've recently been told (in this froup)
that they produce hotter and tastier peppers if neglected for a while,
something I wish I'd known before I planted mine next to the tomatoes which
don't take too kindly to being left without water etc.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L wrote:
Siggy wrote:
[...]

Mine too are next to the toms, so they are well watered. The plants are very
healthy with loads of Chillies. I can sacrifice a bit of fire for more
yield.

Siggy

Old 07-08-2006, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Siggy
writes
I'm a newbie to veg growing but I'm okay so far but I've got a query about
Chillies and Peppers. Is it possible for chillies (Jalapeno) to
cross-pollinate with peppers (not sure what variety).

I've got numerous plants in various positions in the garden, some in a
mini-greenhouse. My Jalapenos' fruit have grown a bit fat and stubby except
for a couple of plants which have long thin chillies. The plants that have
fat stubby chillies are next to Pepper plants, but the long thin ones are
away from the peppers. To confuse things they also have different soils
conditions.

Is the difference due to the soil or can they cross-pollinate.

I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Siggy

They seem to be varieties of the same species (Capsicum annuum)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...icum#Varieties

so they can be expected to cross-pollinate. But I would have expected
the fruit characters to be determined by the maternal genotype, not by
the seed genotype, i.e. I wouldn't have expected cross-pollination to
have made any difference.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Pollinating phalaenopsis Dada Orchids 0 21-03-2004 04:44 PM
Pollinating phalaenopsis Dustin Orchids 6 21-03-2004 03:00 PM
Pollinating a Lemon Tree Kirkyboy Edible Gardening 2 10-08-2003 08:22 AM
hand pollinating question.... GardeningGuy Gardening 3 15-06-2003 02:32 PM
Pollinating Reed-Stem Epidendrums (Small Flowers). Larry Dighera Orchids 12 12-05-2003 05:44 PM