Old 08-08-2006, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default first time help

Hello again,

I would like to grow some vegetables in my back garden. I can spare
about 6ft square at the moment with the possibility of another 6ft
square patch later on. I would like to make this meager space into a
raised bed and start to plant up some edible lovelies asap! The issue
that I have is that I don't have a clue where to start with regards to
preparing the ground. I would like to plant up some garlic for now and
maybe some onions. Does anyone have any info that I would find useful in
my quest?

TIA

Gerry
Old 08-08-2006, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Cuprager :

Hello again,

I would like to grow some vegetables in my back garden. I can spare
about 6ft square at the moment with the possibility of another 6ft
square patch later on. I would like to make this meager space into a
raised bed and start to plant up some edible lovelies asap! The issue
that I have is that I don't have a clue where to start with regards to
preparing the ground. I would like to plant up some garlic for now and
maybe some onions. Does anyone have any info that I would find useful in
my quest?

There's a really good book called "Square Foot Gardening". Aimed at USAians
with only balconies and rooftops, but still very good advice for Brits.
Also his website: http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

If your soil is ok then you don't need to do the buying new soil mix stuff.
The ideas for plants and veggies is useful.

--
Tim C.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim C." wrote in message
[...]

I second that suggestion. I started a plot 4ft x 4ft this year based on the
ideas in this book.

I did get rid of the existing soil and started again. It's such a small plot
it doesn't seem worth *not* doing it. As well as the American book I would
look at the work of the HDRA. A starting point would be
http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/o...ng/gh_sqft.php They have
been running experiments on Square Foot Gardening at Ryton (Warwickshire?),
but using only organic methods of course.

Enjoy, Lyndon

Old 09-08-2006, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lyndon wrote:
"Tim C." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to both of you for this great suggestion! Now all I need is some
resource that tells me what to plant and when in the west of Scotland
weather!

Gerry
Old 09-08-2006, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cuprager" wrote in message

Thanks to both of you for this great suggestion! Now all I need is some
resource that tells me what to plant and when in the west of Scotland
weather!

Gerry

You may find Mel Bartholomew's book useful here too ('Square Foot Gardening'
isbn 0-87857-341-0), since he talks in terms of 'weeks before last frost'
and 'weeks before first frost'. There's a very nice lady on uk.rec.psychic
who may be able to help out with those dates, or there's a web site
somewhere if averages are good enough. Try:
http://gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp

BTW You mentioned a 6ft x 6 ft plot. You may find a 4ft x 4ft plot better
since you can reach all of it easily without walking on any plot. 6ft x 4ft
would also work, but I would have difficulty with 6ft x 6ft.

Lyndon

Old 12-10-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/8/06 09:53, in article , "Cuprager"
wrote:
snip

Thanks to both of you for this great suggestion! Now all I need is some
resource that tells me what to plant and when in the west of Scotland
weather!

Ah, that resource is called Janet Barraclough. ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk