Old 11-08-2006, 01:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Petrol Lawnmower

Hi,
I am considerating of buying a petrol lawnmower. Which landmower should
I buy for a garden of 130' x 30'? Regards, Philip
Old 11-08-2006, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

philip wrote:
Hi,
I am considerating of buying a petrol lawnmower. Which landmower should
I buy for a garden of 130' x 30'? Regards, Philip

If it is sloping to a fair degree then you will need to go for a 2
stroke engine.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I would go for a four-stroke. Firstly, there is no mixing the petrol/oil and
secondly they have a much better reliability rate.

We bought the cheapest petrol lawnmower we could and our garden in 150 X 30.
We got a 'Champion' with a 3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine.

We've now had it for over three years and my wife was using it
professionally for the last year. Cost? £110.

I sharpen the blade every now and then and it starts first pull every time.

Happy mowing!

Nick
www.pennix.co.uk

Old 11-08-2006, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
philip wrote:
Hi, I am considerating of buying a petrol lawnmower. Which landmower
should
I buy for a garden of 130' x 30'? Regards, Philip

If it is sloping to a fair degree then you will need to go for a 2 stroke
engine.

Utter ********!

Honda have been making 4 stroke engines for strimmers and hedgetrimmers for
years with a very successful oil bath system within the "sump" of the unit
that works in any position including inverted.

Many of their standard mower engines have a low oil / starvation cut-out in
any case, so steepness of land isn't a problem.

If you enjoy the smell of 2 smoke and like fouling plugs and spending more
time starting than mowing then go for a 2 smoke.

Get a mower you can handle easily. If the grass is to be kept around 1" and
you need a nice striped finish go for a reel mower.
Keep the bottom blade sharp and a whisker clear of the rotating reels and
you'll be fine.
If it's a jungle, bad grass and only there to look green then a rotary will
suffice.

Just don't buy cheap as it don't pay in the long run.

If you feel lazy, and have an inclination to making the job easier go for a
sit on with a grass collector.

Old 13-08-2006, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mr Alun Davies" wrote in message
If it is sloping to a fair degree then you will need to go for a 2 stroke
engine.

Utter ********!

Rude prick!

Honda have been making 4 stroke engines for strimmers and hedgetrimmers
for years with a very successful oil bath system within the "sump" of the
unit that works in any position including inverted.

Which is fine if he is going to cut his lawn with a hedgecutter.

Many of their standard mower engines have a low oil / starvation cut-out
in any case, so steepness of land isn't a problem.

Yes it is, if it cuts out due to oil starvation you can't use it cut that
area.Doh!

If you enjoy the smell of 2 smoke and like fouling plugs and spending more
time starting than mowing then go for a 2 smoke.

maybe your bias is showing, all of the pros. I've seen around here use 2
strokes why is that?

Get a mower you can handle easily. If the grass is to be kept around 1"
and you need a nice striped finish go for a reel mower.

'Reel mower' ? Oh you mean a cylinder mower, are you American by any
chance?
It would explain the rudeness.

Keep the bottom blade sharp and a whisker clear of the rotating reels and
you'll be fine.
If it's a jungle, bad grass and only there to look green then a rotary
will suffice.
Just don't buy cheap as it don't pay in the long run.
If you feel lazy, and have an inclination to making the job easier go for
a sit on with a grass collector.

Ant

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak ted4272 United Kingdom 6 18-07-2012 12:36 PM
Petrol lawnmower basics Theo Markettos United Kingdom 8 09-11-2006 05:36 PM
Rotary Petrol Lawnmower JP United Kingdom 15 18-10-2006 02:16 PM
Old petrol lawnmower Andrew Champion United Kingdom 6 04-07-2003 05:58 PM
Cheapest petrol Lawnmower with rear roller? Gary United Kingdom 6 22-03-2003 11:28 AM