Old 29-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Andrew Champion

Default Old petrol lawnmower

I have just bought a second hand Suffolk Colt mower which looks as though it
may be around 40+ years old. I have been looking for any instructions on the
web but I think the model is too old. The question I have is about what
petrol grades I can use. I assume that it was designed for leaded petrol
given its age but I don't know whether it is possible to use unleaded with
it or if this would damage it. I would be grateful if anyone were able to
point me in the direction of some information on this model.

Many thanks in advance

Andrew

Old 29-06-2003, 10:56 PM
William Tasso

Andrew Champion wrote:
[Suffolk Colt - around 40+ years old]
... what petrol grades I can use.

Is it two or four stroke engine?

If two then unleaded will be fine.

--
William Tasso

Old 30-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Simon Avery

"Andrew Champion" wrote:

Hello Andrew

AC I have just bought a second hand Suffolk Colt mower which
AC looks as though it may be around 40+ years old. I have been
AC looking for any instructions on the web but I think the
AC model is too old. The question I have is about what petrol
AC grades I can use. I assume that it was designed for leaded
AC petrol given its age but I don't know whether it is possible
AC to use unleaded with it or if this would damage it. I would
AC be grateful if anyone were able to point me in the direction
AC of some information on this model.

I would be wary of using unleaded on something that old, it runs
hotter and drier and can cause problems so I'd steer away from that
unless you get better advice from someone who knows about that engine
specifically.

LRP (sold as 4-star) /should/ be Ok though, or maybe one of your local
garages is one of the few in the country that still does leaded.

Old 30-06-2003, 01:49 PM
David Hill

Try Halfords, they should have an additive for petrol to use in engines that
wont take un leaded.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Andrew Champion

It is a four stroke but I think it might be safer to use LRP, just to be on
the safe side.

Thanks for your help

Old 01-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Jim

In message , Andrew Champion
writes
I have just bought a second hand Suffolk Colt mower which looks as though it
may be around 40+ years old. I have been looking for any instructions on the
web but I think the model is too old. The question I have is about what
petrol grades I can use. I assume that it was designed for leaded petrol
given its age but I don't know whether it is possible to use unleaded with
it or if this would damage it. I would be grateful if anyone were able to
point me in the direction of some information on this model.

Try phoning:

Atco Qualcast Ltd. (Spares / Sales / Accounts)

Tel: 01449 742100.

They were very helpful when I needed information about the Suffolk Punch
petrol mower.

--
Regards - Jim (reply to: News AT outcrops DOT co DOT uk)

Woman went into a bar and asked for a double entendre.
So the landlord gave her one.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire
Default petrol lawnmower

Contact the Lawn Mower Museum, Shakespeare Street, Southport,Merseyside.
They have their own website and seem to have every handbook ever published plus a renovation service should you need it.
Excellent organization.
Grossejoe

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak ted4272 United Kingdom 6 18-07-2012 12:36 PM
Petrol lawnmower basics Theo Markettos United Kingdom 8 09-11-2006 05:36 PM
Rotary Petrol Lawnmower JP United Kingdom 15 18-10-2006 02:16 PM
Petrol Lawnmower philip United Kingdom 4 13-08-2006 12:23 AM
Cheapest petrol Lawnmower with rear roller? Gary United Kingdom 6 22-03-2003 11:28 AM