Old 14-08-2006, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water lily leaves

This is my first year growing a water lily (Nymphala pygmaea Helvola) which
has flowered well in my mini pond, but now the leaves are starting to die
out. Do water lily leaves die down in the autumn and winter?

Mike CT

Old 14-08-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

To a degree yes.
We have a couple of water lilies in our pond too and apart from removing the
leaves that are obviously dead, we tend to leave well alone.

Nick

www.pennix.co.uk

Old 14-08-2006, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message
This is my first year growing a water lily (Nymphala pygmaea
Helvola) which has flowered well in my mini pond, but now the leaves
are starting to die out. Do water lily leaves die down in the autumn
and winter?

Mike CT

Snip of dead material as near to the crown as possible.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 14-08-2006, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BoyPete wrote:
Snip of dead material as near to the crown as possible.

easier said than done when your pond is 6 feet deep as mine is.Unless
I take up scuba diving.

Old 14-08-2006, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message
This is my first year growing a water lily (Nymphala pygmaea Helvola)
which has flowered well in my mini pond, but now the leaves are starting
to die out. Do water lily leaves die down in the autumn and winter?

Mike CT
The local moorhens are doing the job for us - picking off the leaves to
make their nests

Jeanne

Old 14-08-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message
This is my first year growing a water lily (Nymphala pygmaea
Helvola) which has flowered well in my mini pond, but now the leaves
are starting to die out. Do water lily leaves die down in the autumn
and winter?

Mike CT

Snip of dead material as near to the crown as possible.

A little bit impractical!

Alan

--
ßôyþëtë

Old 14-08-2006, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote
This is my first year growing a water lily (Nymphala pygmaea Helvola)
which has flowered well in my mini pond, but now the leaves are starting
to die out. Do water lily leaves die down in the autumn and winter?

Yes they do die in the winter back to the crown, and about this time of year
the oldest leaves start to die to be replaced with bright shiny new ones.
Perfectly normal, what isn't normal is one of ours that tries to grow leaves
and even flower during the slightest mild spell in the winter.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 14-08-2006, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"pammyT" wrote in message
oups.com...

BoyPete wrote:
Snip of dead material as near to the crown as possible.

easier said than done when your pond is 6 feet deep as mine is.Unless
I take up scuba diving.

You mean you have got a lily that is situated 6' feet deep.
Does it manage to flower -if so I want one like that please.

Old 15-08-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:

"MikeCT" wrote in message
This is my first year growing a water lily (Nymphala pygmaea
Helvola) which has flowered well in my mini pond, but now the
leaves are starting to die out. Do water lily leaves die down in
the autumn and winter?

Mike CT

Snip of dead material as near to the crown as possible.

A little bit impractical!

Alan

--
ßôyþëtë

I said 'as near as possible'
To minimise rotting vegetation on the pond bottom.
And at 6ft, that's not a lily, that's a triffid!
--
ßôyþëtë