Old 17-08-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My best buy this year....whats yours.

wrote:
DavePoole Torquay wrote:
p. pleater wrote:
I wanted some large pots to grow tomatoes and 'cumbers etc...............
Instead I bought ten builders quality buckets from Homebase for 99p each

Well done! If you're not too worried about aethetics, inexpensive
buckets and even dustbins make fantastic large containers and help keep
costs down. I keep quite a few large palms in pots and because I'm
loathe to leave them here when I decide to move on, I occasionally need
very large pots/tubs to keep them on the go. Opting for the
conventional way, big tree pots could cost 20+ quid apiece. Dustbins
with lots of holes drilled in the base are barely a few quid each and
equally as effective.

As for my best buy this year, I never thought I'd say it but it was a
plant from B&Q of all places! They had a sale earlier (well, one of
the many they seem to hold each year) and were knocking out very
good-sized tree ferns for comparative peanuts. I picked up a really
thick trunk that weighed a ton, just over 5.5ft tall for £59.00.
Based upon the normal retail price of around £25.00 per foot of trunk,
it was barely a third of the cost you'd normally expect to pay. That
was in early April and it was leafless at the time, but the top was
stuffed with 'knuckles'. A few months later together with a bit of TLC
and it has 19 arching fronds each between 5 and 7feet long, plus
several more still to unfurl. Its a brilliant plant and a seriously
good buy.

I saw them (the tree ferns) in B+Q in Dublin in June and I was sickened
by the cheapness. They have suddenly dropped in price. I have spent 8
years growing 7 of them (badly; I did not know how to do it) from
spores and the biggest ones are only about 1 foot of trunk max and
maybe 1 metre frond length. For relatively little, I could have just
bought some and they would be MUCH bigger than the ones I have. My
ones have great sentimental value and I have learned a lot but it was a
bit daft looking back and a lot of work as they moved house with us 3
years ago and it gets harder and harder to repot the ones that are
still in pots.

Yeah, but you'd do it again in the morning.
I care a great deal more for the grapefruit tree I grew all the way
from piphood over 15 years, which has followed me all over Kildare from
house to house, got frosted up a few times, which I nearly lost, but
nursed back to health several times over, saved from scale insects and
from some sort of black mouldy goop annually, than I would for any
bought ready-made citrus tree, complete with nearly pretend
lemons/mandarins (delete as necessary).

And when you're even greyer than today, when your great grand children
admire your 20ft tall tree fer grove, you can tell them how you
breastfed them yourself.

Cat(h) ('tis not all about money and B&Q bargains, you know)

Old 17-08-2006, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...

DavePoole Torquay wrote:
p. pleater wrote:
[...]

Des in Dublin

A bit Irish and charming.
Des -B&Q were not selling the ferns 8 years ago-don't feel guilty, used or
abused:-)

Old 17-08-2006, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Oy! Are you saying my butt is 220 litres??? I know it's big but really!

If so, I think I saw you sashaying down Brodick sea front yesterday :-)

I wish ... I haven't been that way since 9/11 ...

Mary

Old 18-08-2006, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
wrote:
DavePoole Torquay wrote:
p. pleater wrote:
[...]

I understand that entirely and fair play to you; sadly, other peoples
sentimental value plants are usually tatty old wrecks though.

And when you're even greyer than today, when your great grand children
admire your 20ft tall tree fer grove, you can tell them how you
breastfed them yourself.

This was the plan ok but now that my kids are almost teenagers, it may
not work like that. One scenario is that they will inherit them and
then have whisper out of my earshot: "what'll we do with the oul
fellah's feckin tree ferns" or they will groan every time I show them
off in the same way that they would groan if I told them about a war I
had lived thjorugh or about seeing the sex pistols on tope of the pops.
They understand money.

Cat(h) ('tis not all about money and B&Q bargains, you know)

Old 18-08-2006, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

DavePoole Torquay wrote:
p. pleater wrote:
[...]

ok, I feel better now :-)

Des

Old 19-08-2006, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

Right, thanks. A space would have made it clear, don't you think? Or a
capital L ... 220L. Yes, that's easier for old folk to understand :-)

Mary

Maybe but you'd probably forget within 10 minutes anyway :-)

A whole ten minutes, that's a bit on the generous side!

Alan