Old 15-08-2006, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My best buy this year....whats yours.

I wanted some large pots to grow tomatoes and 'cumbers etc, but was put
off by the high price, typically £2 - £3+ for 12" flower pots.
Instead I bought ten builders quality buckets from Homebase for 99p each
(Wickes also stock) and drilled holes in the bottoms. These are 3 gall,
(13.5 litres) 12" dia, are UV stabilized and as tough as old Harry and
will see me out.

PP.

Old 15-08-2006, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

Been there, done that....they are excellent aren't they.

Sue W.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 16-08-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

For larger inexpensive tubs I found the Wickes builders "Tough Tubs" great,
just drilled lots of holes in the bottom and successfully grew rhubarb and
small fruit trees in them.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 16-08-2006, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

p. pleater wrote:
I wanted some large pots to grow tomatoes and 'cumbers etc, but was put
off by the high price, typically £2 - £3+ for 12" flower pots.
Instead I bought ten builders quality buckets from Homebase for 99p each
(Wickes also stock) and drilled holes in the bottoms. These are 3 gall,
(13.5 litres) 12" dia, are UV stabilized and as tough as old Harry and
will see me out.

PP.

Wickes 220l sturdy water butt with lid, tap and stand for £22.

Old 16-08-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message
I wanted some large pots to grow tomatoes and 'cumbers etc, but was put
off by the high price, typically £2 - £3+ for 12" flower pots.
Instead I bought ten builders quality buckets from Homebase for 99p each
(Wickes also stock) and drilled holes in the bottoms. These are 3 gall,
(13.5 litres) 12" dia, are UV stabilized and as tough as old Harry and
will see me out.

PP.

Best Buy?

Can it be non gardening?

If so, we fancied another cruise before the end of the year :-))

Fantastic deal with our local agent :-))

Two weeks on Aurora, (we have just spent 3 months on her on the World
Cruise) in November/December with 50% off brochure price AND £100 EACH on
board credit :-)))))

R620 if any other urglers are on board. Love to meet you :-))

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 16-08-2006, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ps.com...

Wickes 220l sturdy water butt with lid, tap and stand for £22.

Now that does sound good - what size is it?

Mary

Old 16-08-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message

"p. pleater" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, Michael, now that takes some beating !!
Rather takes the shine off my cheapo buckets :-))

Try really hard and have yourselves a wonderful time..... and bring us a
stick of rock back.

pp.

Old 16-08-2006, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message

Oh, Michael, now that takes some beating !!

It does! £100 off - WOW! Where do I sign up?

Rather takes the shine off my cheapo buckets :-))

Were they shiny?

If so you really did have a bargain.

Mary

Old 16-08-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message

Try really hard and have yourselves a wonderful time..... and bring us a
stick of rock back.

pp.

I promise to try really hard ;-))

Stick of rock? What sort?
Spanish?
Egyptian?
Cypriot?
Greek?
Turkish?
or Sardinian?

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 16-08-2006, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

wrote in message
ps.com...

Wickes 220l sturdy water butt with lid, tap and stand for £22.

Now that does sound good - what size is it?

At a guess, 220l?

Anthony

Old 16-08-2006, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
"Mary Fisher" writes:

wrote in message
ps.com...

Wickes 220l sturdy water butt with lid, tap and stand for £22.

Now that does sound good - what size is it?

At a guess, 220l?

er - what units?

Can't be 2201 litres and 2201 millilitres would be a little on the dinky
side ...

Mary

Anthony

Old 16-08-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Static Sailor Mike wrote:

Best Buy? Can it be non gardening?

No. Its a gardening group, stick on topic for once. Chance would be a
fine thing.

If so, we fancied another cruise before the end of the year :-))

Yawn

Fantast..........

Yawn, Yawn, Yawn.

Two wee.............

Zzzzzz.

Old 16-08-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

p. pleater wrote:
I wanted some large pots to grow tomatoes and 'cumbers etc..............
Instead I bought ten builders quality buckets from Homebase for 99p each

Well done! If you're not too worried about aethetics, inexpensive
buckets and even dustbins make fantastic large containers and help keep
costs down. I keep quite a few large palms in pots and because I'm
loathe to leave them here when I decide to move on, I occasionally need
very large pots/tubs to keep them on the go. Opting for the
conventional way, big tree pots could cost 20+ quid apiece. Dustbins
with lots of holes drilled in the base are barely a few quid each and
equally as effective.

As for my best buy this year, I never thought I'd say it but it was a
plant from B&Q of all places! They had a sale earlier (well, one of
the many they seem to hold each year) and were knocking out very
good-sized tree ferns for comparative peanuts. I picked up a really
thick trunk that weighed a ton, just over 5.5ft tall for £59.00.
Based upon the normal retail price of around £25.00 per foot of trunk,
it was barely a third of the cost you'd normally expect to pay. That
was in early April and it was leafless at the time, but the top was
stuffed with 'knuckles'. A few months later together with a bit of TLC
and it has 19 arching fronds each between 5 and 7feet long, plus
several more still to unfurl. Its a brilliant plant and a seriously
good buy.

Old 16-08-2006, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

As for my best buy this year, I never thought I'd say it but
it was a plant from B&Q of all places!

The local DIY store (Bricolage) often has "plant" sales. Their advertising
logo should read *Dead plants half price!*. My wife bought half a dozen
*dead* penstemons at 90% off making them the equivalent of around 30 pence
each. Amazingly she managed to resurrect the lot. Personally I would have
put them in the compost, her fingers must be greener than mine!

Old 16-08-2006, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:56:34 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

If so, we fancied another cruise before the end of the year :-))

Fantastic deal with our local agent :-))

Two weeks on Aurora, (we have just spent 3 months on her on the World
Cruise) in November/December with 50% off brochure price AND £100 EACH on
board credit :-)))))

R620 if any other urglers are on board. Love to meet you :-))

Did you see "holidays from hell" or similar title on TV last night,
about crews putting laxatives in non-tipping-customers' coffee, and
other nasties. Never fancied cruising and fancy it even less now!!!

Pam in Bristol