Old 13-03-2005, 09:53 PM
tom

Default Whats the best aerator to buy (budget 120)

Hi,
Whats the best aerator to get for a lawn 17m x 13m? Budget £120.
I have seen 2 types 1 has wire like teeth on a spindle usually called
lawnrakers) and the other type have metal blades that spin round.

The wire ones sem a lot cheaper usually about 40 for a 600 watt one.
the metal blade ones are between 100 & 120 (draper 1300 watt &
gardenia 1000 watt).

Lawn has lots of moss & clover in it loads of dandelions etc.

Thanks
Old 13-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Mike Lyle

tom wrote:
Hi,
Whats the best aerator to get for a lawn 17m x 13m? Budget £120.
I have seen 2 types 1 has wire like teeth on a spindle usually

called
lawnrakers) and the other type have metal blades that spin round.

The wire ones sem a lot cheaper usually about 40 for a 600 watt

one.
the metal blade ones are between 100 & 120 (draper 1300 watt &
gardenia 1000 watt).

Lawn has lots of moss & clover in it loads of dandelions etc.

I'd be inclined to tackle the clover and dandelions first: the
aerator might encourage them. The raker isn't really an aerator, but
should be good for loosening up the moss so you can then collect it
with a real rake. Aeration gets into the soil, not just the herbage.
Don't forget that Nature never uses one of these things, and seems to
grow grass quite well.

Mike.

Old 14-03-2005, 05:52 PM
tom

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:08:23 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
Don't forget that Nature never uses one of these things, and seems to
grow grass quite well.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I agree nature is great but its not as fusy as us and its
not bothered that grass, moss, buttercups, dandelions, clover & dasies
are growing all togeher in the same patch.
Thanks

I am still interested in finding the groups opinion of which of the 2
types of machine is the best value.

Old 14-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

A mole?

[ Ducks, amid a shower of clods of earth, thrown with vigour. ]

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Chris S

"tom" wrote in message
Hi,
Whats the best aerator to get for a lawn 17m x 13m? Budget £120.
I have seen 2 types 1 has wire like teeth on a spindle usually called
lawnrakers) and the other type have metal blades that spin round.

The wire ones sem a lot cheaper usually about 40 for a 600 watt one.
the metal blade ones are between 100 & 120 (draper 1300 watt &
gardenia 1000 watt).

Lawn has lots of moss & clover in it loads of dandelions etc.

Thanks

Hi Tom I have tried twi different methods
1) I bought a 4 pronged spiker - the spikes are hollow so that little
cylinders of soil and removed - thus airating the lawn. My lawn is on clay -
I spend all the time trying to unblock the bloomin hollow tines whcih
constantly re-block It's a right pest, and now hangs forlornly on the shed
wall.
2) I used the 4 pronged fork I've had in the shed for ages, and went over
the lawn spiking and wiggling to my hearts content - much easier, and good
exercise too :-))

Chris S

Old 14-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Martin Sykes

I had a pair of those strap on spiky shoes. You just strap them onto your
wellies and walk around when the ground is reasonably soft. It works great
but I got a bit carried away and tried jogging, then running to speed things
up. It's a pity the cameras weren't rolling when they suddenly got stuck in
a bit of harder ground.

I now use a scarifier to remove the moss - but don't use the collector as
it'll fill up too often. Just remove it and walk backwards so you don't go
over the bit where the moss has been chucked. Then mow it all up afterwards.
I've also got an aerator which is like a roller with spring-loaded 6 inch
nails in it which does a good job but is hard work.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )