Old 18-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Registered User

Location: n/east uk
Default is this a clematis

hi all i am a newbie i live in northeast of england i am looking for a little help i have this plant in my garden and am not sure if it is a clematis or not could anyone identify it for me what variety it is and a little information about it any help would be much appreciated thanks
Attached Thumbnails
is this a clematis-flower.jpg
Old 18-08-2006, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

eddyjack wrote:
hi all i am a newbie i live in northeast of england i am looking for a
little help i have this plant in my garden and am not sure if it is a
clematis or not could anyone identify it for me what variety it is and
a little information about it any help would be much appreciated thanks

|Filename: flower.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2917|

eddyjack

It's not a clematis but a passion flower. Is it outdoors as the North
east seems a bit too far north for it to survive reliably outdoors,
some are quite hardy, but the majority of the passiflora are frost
tender.
Mike

Old 18-08-2006, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
"Mike in Spain" writes:

| It's not a clematis but a passion flower. Is it outdoors as the North
| east seems a bit too far north for it to survive reliably outdoors,
| some are quite hardy, but the majority of the passiflora are frost
| tender.

It's P. caerulea, the only one hardy enough for most of the UK. If
its top gets killed by frost, it will reshoot from its roots if it
is in a suitably well-drained, deep soil. Mine hasn't flowered this
year, for some bizarre reason, but my P. c. "Constance Elliott" has.
It is almost certainly a complete loser in heavy or shallow soils in
cold areas.

P. incarnata will always die down and reshoot, but MUST have some
protection from the winter wet in most of the UK - given enough of
that, it will take any temperatures that the UK has seen in the past
10,000 years. Mine is in the rain shadow of the house, and likes it;
I and many other people have failed with it in the open (sandy soil
in Cambridge is too wet!)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Registered User

Location: n/east uk
Thumbs up

it is outside been planted about 3years this is first time it has flowered is covered in buds but only about 3flowers bloom at same time and when flower dies off it has a large sort of pod is this a seed pod and what is best for feeding it thanks very much for your help
Old 18-08-2006, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
eddyjack writes:

| it is outside been planted about 3years this is first time it has
| flowered is covered in buds but only about 3flowers bloom at same time
| and when flower dies off it has a large sort of pod is this a seed pod
| and what is best for feeding it thanks very much for your help

It's a seed pod, yes, and is commonly called a fruit :-) It is edible
when it becomes orange, just like the fruit of P. edulis you buy in
the shops (but not as good). I wouldn't bother feeding it, as it will
merely encourage it to get out of control - it is a fairly vigorous
plant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.