Old 24-08-2006, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Calling all northern Sweetcorn growers

Isn't maize grown as a silage crop ie the whole plant is cut, chopped &
fermented. the fruiting bit is less important

I remember Jersey farmers who grew maize as cattle fodder telling me that
there is a difference in taste between that and what we humans grow and
enjoy.
--
Sacha

That bears out what our English neighbours (1/2 mile away!) said. They tried
boiling a couple of cobs of the farmers maize/sweetcorn that was growing
right up to their boundary and apparently it was inedible.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 24-08-2006, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/8/06 09:28, in article , "David
(in Normandy)" wrote:

Isn't maize grown as a silage crop ie the whole plant is cut, chopped &
fermented. the fruiting bit is less important

I remember Jersey farmers who grew maize as cattle fodder telling me that
there is a difference in taste between that and what we humans grow and
enjoy.
--
Sacha

That bears out what our English neighbours (1/2 mile away!) said. They tried
boiling a couple of cobs of the farmers maize/sweetcorn that was growing
right up to their boundary and apparently it was inedible.

Yes, we tried some of the stuff our neighbouring farmer in Jersey was
growing and it tasted horrible!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk