Old 21-08-2006, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sowing Lawn - by hand or spreader?

I am just about to seed a 300sq m lawn. Anyone any experience of using
either:
- scattering by hand
- hand powered rotary scatterer
- wheeled seed sower

Any recommendations regarding which of these works best?

thanks

Davy

Old 21-08-2006, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
I am just about to seed a 300sq m lawn. Anyone any experience of using
either:
- scattering by hand
- hand powered rotary scatterer
- wheeled seed sower

Any recommendations regarding which of these works best?

thanks

Davy

No experience of powered seed sowers but with all three methods I would
always spread seed at half the rate suggested and do the job twice.
300 sq.m.should be a fairly easy hand job.

Old 21-08-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Davy" wrote in message
I am just about to seed a 300sq m lawn. Anyone any experience of using
either:
- scattering by hand
- hand powered rotary scatterer
- wheeled seed sower

Any recommendations regarding which of these works best?

thanks

Davy

No experience of powered seed sowers but with all three methods I would
always spread seed at half the rate suggested and do the job twice.
300 sq.m.should be a fairly easy hand job.

I'm probably more of a klutz than the average bear, but I've found it
impossible to get an even spread when broadcasting by hand. Rupert is
right: with any method do it twice, and make the second pass at right
angles to the first.

--
Mike.

Old 22-08-2006, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Remember to sow 3 times the amount

one for the birds
one that rots or dosen't grow
and the one that grows

And yes do it half rate then the other at 90 degs.

I try to sow on a slightly windy day to give a better and even spread.
Old 23-08-2006, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello,

I always use a wheel driven distributor. Hand sowing is ok for small
patches and I've never used a hand distributor but would imagine that
it wouldn't give an even spread because of having to keep a constant
speed on the krank in relation to your walking pace, but with a wheeled
distributor all you have to worry about is keeping your walking pace
constant. Also everyone is right about making 2 passes, one at right
angles to the other.

Edd Smith