Old 25-08-2006, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heavy pruning of large eucalyptus

hi all

my neighbour has a 30foot euclyptus
which shades my south facing garden heavily
and sheds tons of bark on my lawn

He has agreed to do something about it
It is a beautiful tree and i would really like
if it could be cut tactically so it could keep some shape
or have a chance of coming back well

I also get on well with this guy and have told him
I do not want the tree destroyed.

he was thinking of just hacking it down to
three foot stump and see what happens
but i cant see this giving the tree a chance

any thoughts/links

regards
four

Old 25-08-2006, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/8/06 13:50, in article ,
"fourmations" wrote:

hi all

my neighbour has a 30foot euclyptus
which shades my south facing garden heavily
and sheds tons of bark on my lawn

He has agreed to do something about it
It is a beautiful tree and i would really like
if it could be cut tactically so it could keep some shape
or have a chance of coming back well

I also get on well with this guy and have told him
I do not want the tree destroyed.

he was thinking of just hacking it down to
three foot stump and see what happens
but i cant see this giving the tree a chance

Some people grow Eucalyptus specifically for their juvenile foliage or for
hedging, in which case they're kept low level. Have a look at this:
http://www.eucalyptus.co.uk/indepth_...&anchorme=prun
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-08-2006, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

fourmations wrote:
hi all

my neighbour has a 30foot euclyptus
which shades my south facing garden heavily
and sheds tons of bark on my lawn

He has agreed to do something about it
It is a beautiful tree and i would really like
if it could be cut tactically so it could keep some shape
or have a chance of coming back well

I also get on well with this guy and have told him
I do not want the tree destroyed.

he was thinking of just hacking it down to
three foot stump and see what happens
but i cant see this giving the tree a chance

any thoughts/links

regards
four

Been there - done that.

Eucalyptus don't have a very wide root so if you have a tall tree that
is battered by wind it is in danger of toppling over, therefore it is
sensible to take the top off every 3/4 years ~ if not every 2/3 years.
YES they do grow that quickly!

I have taken a 25 foot high tree down to 4 feet in the past and it
shoots very readily, mine is again in need of a prune as it is back at
the 25 feet mark. It seems drastic and done by just lopping every
branch down to 4 feet would make it look awful, so as you say a bit of
planning will retain its nice look.

I wouldn't do it until March, I'm in the Midlands, as you want to
ensure that it has a chance of the sap rising to push out the new
shoots.

Steve

Old 26-08-2006, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"fourmations" wrote in message

my neighbour has a 30foot euclyptus
which shades my south facing garden heavily
and sheds tons of bark on my lawn

he was thinking of just hacking it down to
three foot stump and see what happens
but i cant see this giving the tree a chance

any thoughts/links

Eucapypts respond well to the sort of treatment your neighbour
suggests. The immature foliage will in all likelihood be different
from the tree you see now so you may just enjoy a newly different
looking tree as the stump regrows.

The other thing about Australian plants grown in the UK is that you
have such rich soil in comparison to here in Australia that the trees
alwys look overfed and I wouldn't trust their root system to hold
them. I fhte 30 footer is within hitting distance of your house, I'd
encourage him to cut it before you get a high wind.

Pruning eucalyptus manc1973 Gardening 12 28-02-2012 06:39 AM
Pruning eucalyptus Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 7 13-02-2009 06:38 PM
Large Tree - not so large pot? john United Kingdom 8 01-08-2005 08:11 PM
eucalyptus pruning Mark Agar United Kingdom 2 11-04-2005 11:43 AM
Collected large yews and large maple Mark Planter Bonsai 1 06-04-2005 06:21 PM