Old 27-08-2006, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes Dropping Off

Can anyone tell me why my unripe, greenhouse-grown tomatoes are dropping off
the plant? My greenhouse floor is littered with healthy, but unripe,
tomatoes.

Thanks.

Old 27-08-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My giant 2 or 3 pound green beefsteak tomatoes some times fall off the
vine also. I believe it's because the vine can not support the weight of
the tomatoes. Ed

Old 27-08-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote .
My giant 2 or 3 pound green beefsteak tomatoes some times fall off the
vine also. I believe it's because the vine can not support the weight of
the tomatoes. Ed

I can understand why beefsteak toms would fall off due to weight, but my
tomatoes are Gardeners' Delight, Alicante and Moneymaker, which are smaller
tomatoes.

Old 27-08-2006, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message
wrote .
My giant 2 or 3 pound green beefsteak tomatoes some times fall off
the
vine also. I believe it's because the vine can not support the weight
of
the tomatoes. Ed

I can understand why beefsteak toms would fall off due to weight, but
my
tomatoes are Gardeners' Delight, Alicante and Moneymaker, which are
smaller
tomatoes.

I read somewhere in a gardening mag' that this is most likely due to an
overly dry atmosphere in the GH.
It was suggested to dampen-down the paths and spray the plants with a
fine mist spray during hot, dry conditions.
pp.

Old 27-08-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message

I read somewhere in a gardening mag' that this is most likely due to an
overly dry atmosphere in the GH.
It was suggested to dampen-down the paths and spray the plants with a fine
mist spray during hot, dry conditions.
pp.

Ours haven't dropped off either in the gh or outside, I have a range of
sizes from tiny cherries to beefsteak types.

A 'soaking' hose goes round the greenhouse borders, fed by a water butt. I
suspect that lack of water is the problem too. I never spray or damp the
paths but do believe that lots of water at the roots helps. I've had the
best harvest ever this year, since installing the soaking hose.

The green tomatoes might well ripen - over quite a long time - if you put
them in a basket in the kitchen. If they don't you can use them in cooking,
it doesn't have to be chutney, they're very good in stews, ratatouille,
sauces, anything.

Mary