Old 29-08-2006, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree recommendation

To those who don't know it, may I suggest that anyone looking for a small
tree looks at Clerodendron trichotomum fargesii. It's in flower now, which
is a virtue but on top of that, it has the most lovely scent and the flowers
are followed by china blue berries from which it is easily propagated. It
grows fairly quickly and the only drawback I can see to it is that it looks
stone dead until, suddenly, it doesn't! It's hardy but apparently will grow
to a lesser height in cold areas. I was watering the area of the nursery in
which ours grows and the scent hit me full on, even at 7.30am. It makes a
lovely umbrella shape and all of this makes me wonder why one doesn't seen
it grown more often.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-08-2006, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

It looks very nice in googled photos - would it survive in sub tropical
Aiberdeen, do you think, Sacha??

Chris S

Old 30-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha
[...]
According to RHS plantfinder, it doesn't exist, and offered me Clerodendrum instead, which isn't the same thing at all. I suspect such confusion explains why it is little grown here. But I have located a couple of nurseries (Abbotsbury in Dorset, and Bluebell at Ashby-de-la-Z - the latter seem to have their -ons and -ums confused too) who are happy to sell us a plant unrecognised by the authorities, and indeed show us pictures of it. Looks very nice. There are other cultivars with different coloured flowers.

According to a hardiness charts I located on a US website, which shows it growable in most of New England, it ought to grow most of here too. I also found a French seed dealer whose site, in its English language version, says it is very "rustic" (the French for hardiness is rusticité). But their instructions for the seeds have the kind of words (4 months cold stratification) which I rarely associate with "easily propagated".
Old 30-08-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/8/06 11:06, in article , "Chris S"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

You can but try and yes, it's a stunner, IMO. If you remind me and if Ray
thinks it viable, I'll send you some seeds to give it a go. Email me your
snailmail address if you would like some.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Hi Sacha,
I've replied via your nursery e-mail - thank you for the offer :-)

Much appreciated

Chris S

Old 30-08-2006, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I saw this tree a few years ago and at the time I decided not to get
it, I never thought about it anymore till yesterday when I saw this
post. I went to 3 nurseries and could not find it and they do not have
any idea of what it is (I took a picture with me)... So if anymone can
give me some clues where to get the plant or the seeds I would much
appreciate it.

The tree is just gorgeous.

PA

Old 30-08-2006, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/06 17:14, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

Sacha Wrote:
[...]

If you Google it, you'll find it under both spellings! Same goes for C.
ugandense, an altogether different looking plant and which we also have but
which is small, with blue flowers and conservatory only in this country!
I'd be very interested to hear of the experiences/knowledge of other with
these plants.

According to a hardiness charts I located on a US website, which shows
it growable in most of New England, it ought to grow most of here too.
I also found a French seed dealer whose site, in its English language
version, says it is very "rustic" (the French for hardiness is
rusticité). But their instructions for the seeds have the kind of
words (4 months cold stratification) which I rarely associate with
"easily propagated".

It's most certainly worth a try.

Old 30-08-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/06 18:34, in article , "Chris S"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/8/06 11:06, in article
, "Chris S"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I've received it and it's noted, ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Tree recommendation p.k. United Kingdom 13 30-04-2005 08:15 PM
Solstice tree recommendation Blue Gardening 13 05-02-2005 09:53 AM
GQT. Cherry tree recommendation? Lee and Kath United Kingdom 3 31-10-2004 09:20 AM
Tree recommendation Mark Lawns 9 01-05-2004 12:02 AM
Tree Recommendation - Minneapolis Area Joseph Paturbo Gardening 3 11-03-2003 03:56 PM